Sign in to follow this  
DF9AA

-99 TCAS

Since installation of update for 400X I see on TCAS all trafic ON many targets ( sometimes up to 50 )shown as -99 or other targets down to -50 or so.Is this normal, since the older versions showed only targets +/- 26 or less!Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Fosterhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Karl-Heinz,this is normal if you have the "show all traffic" option enabled in the PMDG menu. For maximum realism this should be deselected.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

You're right I just checked the change list. Before the update the above/below switch was still doing something even though you had "show all traffic" selected. This got changed so now if you have this option selected you'll get to show EVERYTHING around, below and above you.In reality this is quite useless and only clutters your display so for maximum realism disable this option. If disabled the same filter will be applied as on the real aircraft showing you only what you need to know. If you want to look further up or down use the above/below switch as explained in the manual.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Hi Markus,Yes, if you were used to using "show all traffic" before the update, this was quite a shock. It was nice using it to see "non-proximate" traffic that was at or about your level. Now it's too cluttered IMO to turn on. But it does indeed "show all traffic" now.Karl,With "show all traffic" off you will only see "proximate" traffic. Which is traffic within 7 miles. This is, as Robert R. explained in an earlier thread, correct for the latest TCAS systems on the 747-400.

Hi Markus,I am sure you understand : " Verschlimmbessert"... I have no idea how to translate this...Bob,7 miles around an aircraft travelling at 500 miles is MUCH too less!If you sim without "ATC" it was really nice to see other traffic in 50 or so miles distance - especially crossing traffic at same FL...Just too sad!Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Fosterhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Karl-Heinz,I would not agree that things were made worse than before the update. You still have the choice... See ALL traffic around you or have TCAS work the real way.TCAS doesn't just work within a 7nm radius. It is also time based. So if two 747s were cruising at .86 exactly opposite on the same flight level you would get a warning (and a displayed traffic) much earlier than 7nm.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard