Sign in to follow this  
markadeane

MD11 Questions? Fire away.

Folks,It's nice to be back posting in the forums after a month or so getting acquainted with the MD11. You'll have all seen Carl's excellent preview post and a few other threads along the same line.I thought I'd take a different tack so as not to cover their ground.If anyone has any so-far-unanswered questions that they want answered about the MD11 please post them here. I (and any of the other beta testers so-inclined) will answer as best as possible.No release date queries please, we don't know either!Cheers

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest cloudfreak

Hi Mark,do you have a 2D-Panel widescreen Picture with the SISP switched on?will the second EICAS on the Mainpanel remain visible if i undock it to a second monitor?thanks J

Hi Mark,Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. Can you give a gist on the "dial-a-flap" system of the MD11?Dinshaw.

Hi Jurgen,I'm not familiar with the SISP acronym, am I missing something obvious? Happy to oblige a screenshot if you can elaborate. The multimonitor question will have to wait for one of the beta team who has such a setup. Sorry I'm not off to a good start!

Mark Adeane - NZWN

Hi Dinshaw,It's actually a pretty cool feature and I'm surprised Boeing and Airbus haven't contemplated it's merits (at least publically).It's basically a flap setting detent than can be adjusted to a one degree precision between the 10 and 25 degree setting.If I may quote a snippet from the manual...-------------------------Flaps position may be selected using the dial-a-flap system, amoveable detent for flaps settings. The detent is selected by rotatingthe dial-a-flap thumbwheel until the required detent flap settingappears in the FLAP T.O. SEL window. Fifteen non-linear divisionsare displayed in the window. These divisions represent detentsettings between 10 degrees and 25 degrees of flap deflection.Rotation of the thumbwheel drives the indicator and positions thedetent.A moveable detent for takeoff allows setting the flaps at the positionwhich would provide best takeoff performance for a given set of fieldconditions.To set takeoff flaps and slats, the flight crew rotates the thumbwheeluntil the proper takeoff flap setting is displayed in the FLAP T.O. SEL window. The flight crew then lifts the FLAP/SLAT handle out of the 0 degree detent and pulls aft until the handle latches in the detent.-------------------------Pretty clever huh?

Mark Adeane - NZWN

Hello, I have a question for the beta team, I recently watch a video onyoutube of the MD11 before takeoff procedure do you realy pull up thespoiler to begin the berfore takeoff checklist and procedure? I am just curious if that i sdone or they just do that on the airline and no where else.Did you guys find is fairly simple to learn the FMS programing procedure after you starting testing it?Thank YouCapt. Eric Wade Joneswww.usairwaysva.orghttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/1900driver.jpg

Eric,I know of it being one particular airline's SOP but whether all airlines start their before takeoff actions by it is another matter.Like on the airbus, you have a few essential before takeoff items that are displayed on screen in a small box, once you complete them all you get a green box to indicate you are ready for takeoff. The spoiler lever is one of them so it would be done at about the same time as those procedures anyway.The FMS was certainly somewhat different from those which I have used before, and it requires a little attention to the manual to make sure you play by the rules from the start. Don't worry though, after a few flights you get the hang of it and find that it's actually pretty effective. I personally prefer it to the Boeing style one now, so it is worth studying up on in my view!

Mark Adeane - NZWN

Guest rellehenk

Not familiair with SISP????Source Input Selector Panel!

Oh, I have no worries about the FMS, I intend to take a few weeks learning how to in this plane before I go online and fly anytime soon and get a rating with dva in the MD11so I dnt think I have anything to worry about i was just curious as the the dificulty that some other may have found in it. even if it is I know i shall get the hang of it.Thank YouCapt. Eric Wade Joneswww.usairwaysva.orghttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/1900driver.jpg

Guest mpauli

Robin,Of course you'll be able to fly RNAV approaches!This includes lateral guidance (called NAV which is LNAV for Boeing) and vertical guidance (calles PROF aka. profile which is VNAV for Boeing) and of course all that down to the MDA...Regards,Martin