Sign in to follow this  

Failure to follow Rules

I first would like to say that I like the setup of the new fourms. But here is my gripe(and that of some others too). It is/was clearly stated in the rules and regs of the Fourm, as well as by Tom in a few different posts on the old fourms. The matter of the user name must be your real name and/or a part of. IE Paul1 Paul65 flyingPaul. We either have some people who 1. can't read( or have selected reading) 2. Think they are above the law. 3. have really cruel parents. I was one who had a username on the old forum that did not have anyhting to do with my name. But I always signed full name in signature. I went and registered under the new rules and used my real name JefFrey = Jeff Frey. I would like to see either all user names in violation removed. or my account reset so that I too can have a user name of choice. In my opinion I feel that the only way this can be done is either allow user names as the old fourms or First and Last name PERIOD. By allowing the User names other than First and Last allows to much room to play and with a lot of Simers being in their teens(I do not mean all, The ones I refer to,know who they are) will try a push the limits. With that being said I will now get down off the box.

I tend to agree with you Jeff. First name and Last name in the USer ID was what I read in Tom's first messages, that suited me fine... we can still have nicknames in our signatures, our friends know our nicknames and use them etc. I am a bit surprised to see some of the names... apparently the rules changed while we were still starting. And the User ID cannot be changed... except when re-regstering.Personally, I am in favor of using real name, Period. Let's ;eave the 'handles' for the anonymous and non-serious forums ;-)(Sorry Boss.... couldn't shut up again.... ;-) ) :-jumpyFrancois :-wave____________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!____________________http://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/Avsim_sig_FND.jpg

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Jeff and Francois,When registering for the AVSIM forums the first items in the agreement notice is:[pre]1.) Your user ID (Nickname) can be your choice, but you must provide your REAL First and Last Name. Any accounts that do not have a real first and last name provided will be removed.[/pre]I read this to mean that you could use your old username from the old forum system, but you had to specify your real name in the sign up fields marked as "First Name" and "Last Name".Based on the forum agreement I don't think that folks who have not used their first and/or last names in their userids are violating any rules.

And I am not implying that, Bryan ;-)I am just a bit disappointed that the rules apparently are not as how I understood them to be at first. I like nicknames, but not 'handles'.I like to say 'Hi Bryan' and not 'Hi nobleord' ;-) I'm just an old(fashioned) so-and-so of course... and grumpy as well }>Francois :-wave____________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!____________________http://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/Avsim_sig_FND.jpg

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Nobleord: You are correct. There is no problem using your old "handle", as these guys dispargingly referred to it. The issue is that you must sign up under a real name. There would be no security or ethical reason to base your "screen name" on your real name, and your quote from the sign up page shows it is not required anyway!If you guys think about it, who would decide that "dick" or "rich" would be O.K. for "Richard", but "richierich12" would not? Could Elizabeth call herself "liz" but not "betty"? How about "BetCakes", or just "mrs.B"? It's ridiculous to consider that a person's nickname or screenname would be anyone's concern, as long as they register ethically, and do not have and obscene or abusive screen name.I have been using "proto57" for almost three years now. I use it on my own forums, websites, some of my e-mail addresses. It is my "net identity". It's convienient, and it really means something to me. To be asked to change it would be the unethical thing... as much as being asked to change my real name, or my nickname. H.Rich SantaColomaAVSIM/VS Forum Moderatorhttp://www.put.com/~proto57/proto.jpg

Hi Francois,I too was under the same impression so I hung back from registering, I kinda like my 'handle' and have had it since joining Avsim.I visited the new forums as they started out and noticed that a lot of posts were from users still using their handles.About the same time Tom posted that the main criteria was that your real name must be used to register, along with a valid e-mail address and as long as the custodians of Avsim had your real name you could still use your handle.There was a get out clause though :-), those in violation would receive notice from 'above' and be banned from participation until they re-registered; or at least that's how I understood it.I can sympathise with those who have 'lost' their handle and would hope Avsim will be able to reinstate them for those members who so wish.RgdsVulcan

Francois,Thanks for the clarification... I use the signature feature so that my real name is on my posts. Since it was allowed, I used my old forum ID so that I would not have to remember yet another ID. IMHO, signatures with a real name should be used as a courtesy by those of us who don't use first/last name in our IDs. That way a real name can be tied to the post.

The rules did change. Tom posted about it in the general dicussion fourm. Said something like there where most complied with the new rules and a few didn't and they deemed it too much of a admin nightmare to delete rule violators. So I have just sent a request to delete my account so I can register under my "real" log in. I don't mind using the "real" name thing, but since its not a rule anymore might as well use the log in that I use everywhere else.

I second Rich,Using either nickname or real name seem fine to meit should be the poster's choice and not ruled by a anything but the correctness."Real name" mean nothing on internet as long as thereis no commercial deal behind it. I'm also in concernwith the privacy: don't make the job of all those that want to classify & identify our behaviour on the net too easy. For now its in the name of business but this name maychange in the futur. don't open the pendora's box.Also some nick are real piece of imagination and are really fun.Mine was used to kill a lot of people at AOK and CFS :-loland I love it in memory of all those fun game I had.DanStephAka: Daniel Polli :-hah