Sign in to follow this  
Guest kdfossum

Colors

Guest kdfossum

I know this has been up here recently, but bare with me please.I'm looking for Boeing colors, specifically Boeing Brown and Dark Brown to start with.I'm NOT looking for the Testors colors, because too much is to be painted and those tiny bottles don't last long and are too expensive in the long run.I'm wondering if anyone has painted their stuff using mixed colors from the paint store. I'm looking for accurate color codes for the store to mix for me in larger quantities.Does anyone have an answer to this?Appreciate any help.Best regards,

Hi Kevin - Easy solution - Paint a clean white piece of smooth posterboard with the Testors color and bring it into a paint place that can color-match it - they're really, really accurate now.Ideally, airbrush the Testors paint onto a flat white -very smooth- surface, such as a piece of glass or a sheet of rigid plastic. Spray about 6 coats to make sure there's absolutely no translucency.Assuming the Testors paint isn't glossy, getting the finish as flat as possible for the paint scanner will yield the best results.The best part about it is this - let's say your color comes out being off by a few percent. You'd never notice, because you won't be viewing the cockpit in perfectly even, prismatically-corrected light, and every surface this appears on will appear slightly different anyway!CheersAndrew>I know this has been up here recently, but bare with me>please.>>I'm looking for Boeing colors, specifically Boeing Brown and>Dark Brown to start with.>>I'm NOT looking for the Testors colors, because too much is to>be painted and those tiny bottles don't last long and are too>expensive in the long run.>I'm wondering if anyone has painted their stuff using mixed>colors from the paint store. I'm looking for accurate color>codes for the store to mix for me in larger quantities.>Does anyone have an answer to this?>>Appreciate any help.>>Best regards,

Guest mbessler

Hi Andrew,>Easy solution - >>Paint a clean white piece of smooth posterboard with the>Testors color and bring it into a paint place that can>color-match it - they're really, really accurate now.>>Ideally, airbrush the Testors paint onto a flat white -very>smooth- surface, such as a piece of glass or a sheet of rigid>plastic. Spray about 6 coats to make sure there's absolutely>no translucency.>>Assuming the Testors paint isn't glossy, getting the finish as>flat as possible for the paint scanner will yield the best>results.>>The best part about it is this - let's say your color comes>out being off by a few percent. You'd never notice, because>you won't be viewing the cockpit in perfectly even,>prismatically-corrected light, and every surface this appears>on will appear slightly different anyway!I like your solution... :)How about adding it to the Simbuilders Wiki :)http://wiki.varxec.netIf there's no category for that yet, I propose creating one named something like 'Colors and Painting'Manuel

Guest PoRrEkE

Absolutely.Put it under "tips" page maybe ..

Guest mbessler

>Yeah, I don't see a great category on Wiki - >>I'd say if a new category was going to be created, it would>be "paint" and fall under "finishing"...>>Any ideas on how to do that?Two ways: 1. use WikiWords: everything thats written with a capital letter in the front and one in the middle of a word (eg: WikiWords, ColorsAndPaint).2. use brackets with double quotes: ["brackets and double quotes"](the forumsoftware uses brackets, so this might not come out right)The Wiki understands both ways and converts them automatically to links.To create the new page, just click on the link, and if the page doesn't exist yet, it lets you create it.When in doubt, use the sandbox and the help pages.Manuel

Guest PoRrEkE

I could do it for you but then you don't learn how to use the wiki :D Once you get the hang of it it's realy simple! Let me guide you though:Go tohttp://wiki.varxec.net/TipsThen on the left hit the "edit" button.Then at the botom make sure there is 1 free line, then below add:== paintcolor ==comments here ...

Guest PoRrEkE

Ok, you created the link. Just click it now and there will be a page where you can click "make this page"At the top you put the title for that page between = signs.I will check how you did in a few minutes.

Guest PoRrEkE

Have just put your "paint matching" into the preparation section.Figuring out a match is preparation I think. Paiting is building :)

Guest PoRrEkE

Ok now I got a question on that .. what is the "Testors" ? And where do you get it ?

I use these color codes from the paint store, Do not know if these are international codes.The light color is E4.20.50 and the darker is E4.15.25 (Flexa Ambiance)The light color fits very wel with the FDS MIP/panels. For the darker one I choose the darkest from the same series.On:http://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.boschyou can see examples of it, click on throttle and scroll to the last pic. I repainted it bacause I was not satisfied with the first paintNorbert

Guest PoRrEkE

Sure does look much better now :)I think I notice that you've also repainted the yoke ?I thought it had the same color yellow'ish brown as the throttles ?