Sign in to follow this  
jmig

Cheap LCDs

I don't know if this will help anybody? However, I noticed in the most recent catalog of All Electronics LCDs that might work as MFDs. On page 85 they have a 256X128 panel for $18.50. It measures 5.8"X4.58" A 640X400 8.25"X5.2" panel is $7.75. They also have several others.You can find them online at www,allelectronics.comJohn

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

-> CAT # LCD-103 $ 7.75 each-> CAT # LCD-104 $ 11.00 eachBut how to connect these things to a VGA output (or RGB) ?Maybe it needs a separate custom IC ?-Jerome

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

They are indeed cheap and have nice specifications for use as monochrome CDUs!!!But they do require extra circuit to feed them with data.Wonder if any of the LCD electronic drivers out there is compatible with those.George DorkofikisAthens, Greecehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpg

Guest spiliot_

I have taken a look before at these and I'm afraid I'll dissapoint you. The circuitry needed to drive them requires a symmetrical powersupply (or even worse - an assymetrical one) with strange voltage defined by manufacturer, like +8.5V, - 14.5V, +5V plus a driver IC to do the fast line/row transitions (usually in the order of tenths of kilohertz) and a microcontroller to interface it.The driver ICs are only sold in 1000+ quantities, usually in QFTP packages that are SMD and can only be soldered with special equipment. The PCB in order to be small in size has to be a double to six layered one!This is why they are so inexpensive.

Guest Dave-C

I have bought two of these displays. You cannot directly connect them to your PC video output. I have connected mine to the LPT port and wrote a VB program to drive them. The only problem with this particular display is it does not have a backlight. It is hard to see without a light source directed into it.I have bought other graphic displays that I now use. The have a built in backlight. If you are not electronically inclined I would pass on this type of display.To use these you need various voltages +5v, +12v, and a negative supply -9v to -24v. You can not display video or an RGB signal.I have attached a picture of my setup. The large display on the right side is a 320X200 display with a builtin controller. The second display was not installed yet