Sign in to follow this  
Guest Icelandic_Canadian

posky CRJ fm :-(

The visual model is (apart from the flaps/inboard wingsection)VERY nice as usual, but as a real CRJ pilot I'm really frustrated with the CRJs fm.1. No roll spoilers. The real CRJ of course has roil spoilers2. Wrong inboard wingsection and flaps and flap tracks. No trailing edge dihedral on the inboard wingsection. That's why the flaps are way too high above the ground. The flap tracks are bonded to the flaps on the real plane. They don't slide along the flaps. Especially they don't extend beyond the flap trailing edge.3. Wrong gear retraction sequence. Gear retracts too fast and on the real plane the main gear retracts 5sec longer than the nose gear not vice versa.4. Wayyyy too much power and/or too little drag!!!!! Never seen 5000fpm climb rate on the real plane At the simulated max ZFW of 44000lbs not even 50% of that climb rate. (Not even at 36000lbs)5. Way too slow roll rate. The real one has close to 180deg/sec. 6. Way too responsive in pitch. Just look at the tiny stab and elevator. 7. Way too little drag with gear and flaps extended.What I don't understand, I wrote John Tavendale a few times and offered my support. He didn't even answer.Too bad as the CRJ initially looked very promising.RegardsBernt Stolle Capt CRJ

hey dont complain that much man. the model is great! and who cares if the main gear retracts 5 seconds later?U should be happy with this model. is is very nice...... and if you dont like the performance, u can donwload a new flight dynamic file...

Guest jpcxcf

Hi Bernt.It seems that you hadf to be in the team to tweak the FM. I'm glad that you commented those aspects.See you ;) .Regards,Pedro

Guest jpcxcf

Hi think that those points are very welcom. Off course that if you go only for the visual then the model is great, but there are other's that go for the "REAL AS IT GET'S" using a PC...Regards,Pedro

Bernt,Can you drop me an email at:warren@projectopensky.comI don't recall if John mentioned anything to me or not.Could've been a misscommunication.We had feedback from 2 pilots go into the CRJfrom 2 different US carriers.Pls drop me an email when you can.Thanks,Warren

Glad to see POSKY respond to this in a calm and professional manner. After ALL this hard work, it would be very easy to get upset by soemone making such comments. That said, I am glad that someone did make those comments, and that they were noticed this time. I work on the CRJ-200 every day and know quite a lot about its performance characteristics from the flight tests that we have flown recently. One of the biggest issues is the lack of power on this bird - remember this is a stretched Challenger that retains its Challenger engines. There has been a lot of weight added not only to the fuselage, but when loaded with thirty or forty passengers and all their baggage, compared to a Challenger with say eight passengers and their baggage, the aircraft really does not have such high performance numbers. I also agree with the other comments made by Bernt about the flight characteristics, again by reference to recent flight tests we have performed recently, such as the excessive pitch sensitivity.Thanks again for the first class model POSKY, I know it sometimes seems like people are "nitpicking" when they say the gear retracts too fast or that the performance is wrong, but hey, if you don't want realism, why go to all the trouble of making such a detailed model? If I didn't care about the finer points of the aircraft, I would just fly a tube with wings and a tail and be done with it :)I look forward to some revised flight dynamics in the future which will further ENHANCE this already great model.Thanks again POSKY!Nick

FM is ok for me because Im only going to use this one as AI, not to fly.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Hi Nick,But the wing is very impressive.Even at FL380 you have a superb turning capability with no barberpole in the vicinity at all. Something a 737 pilot can only dream about.The 700 BTW is one of the smoothest and most quiet planes I've ever flown in.Just a question. What's the coke tin can in front of the main wheels for? Bernt Stolle Capt CRJ

I think the issue is whether the poster considers himself to be a pilot or an aeroplane spotter. Clearly, given his profession, it's the former and I must agree with that viewpoint. If you just want to look at the aircraft, go buy a video. If you want to simulate flying it, I rather think it requires a performance that at least tips the hat to realism. I can't help thinking that too many developers place toom uch emphasis on visuals and perofmance and realism comes second.Just my opinion, y'know Cheers,Andy

I don't work the -700, though we have one of them at work. I will check it out for you on Monday, if someone here doesn't already know! BTW, which airline do you fly for, or are you not able to say?Best Regards,NickPS - I am not a pilot myself, I just organize and coordinate the flight testing of the CRJ-200 an Dash 8.

"....Too bad as the CRJ initially looked very promising...."I love it....The flight model issues can be easily tweaked, if they prove a challenge...From the outside, this is a gem, I feel, but as freeware I wouldn't hold it to the same level of perfection as I would payware.... I think your post was worded well enough that they may look at the issues and offer a fix.What I really like about this model is the virtual wing view... More and more freeware designers are adding these in....it's great to see the pax recognized.About the only thing I saw--the ailerons don't move in the virtual wing view.... The flaps and spoilers do have movement--I remember this had something to do with part naming conventions, but my model design skills are still limited to flying spheres... :)Great job, POSKY team! -John

Thanx, and I work for Lauda Air.But we are in the process of phasing out the CRJs.I just don't know if they are phasing me out as well ;-)Bernt Stolle Capt CRJ

Bernt,Sorry if I didn't reply? I usually reply to all, but at the time we previewed the bird I was getting bombarded with emails offering support, help etc, it was hard to cypher out the legitimate ones.Plus I have had some PC troubles and had to format a few times and lost many emails :(

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Aren't they being transferred to Tyrollean?At least we see a lot of Tyrollean at Schiphol these days on flights that used to be operated by Lauda.