Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottPilot

FAT32 to NTFS?

Hi, I use WIN XP Pro and have it as FAT32, should I convert it to NTFS? Will I notice a performance gain especially in FS2002?Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Yup NTFS is alot better. If you do not need to use the partition in DOS, you should convert it to NTFS.NTFS is safer, and sometimes faster.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Heather 636

G'Day!Sounds interesting, but before an idiot like me goes messing everything up, what are the advantages and how do i do it?Windows XP ProPII 800mhzThanksHeather

Guest dek

Bill,Remember, you can not go back once you've gone from FAT32 to NTSF. I didn't like the NTSF system (software incompatiblies) and had to completely uninstall Xp to get back to FAT32. I know I did not see any improvement in FS2002. Also, remember that a lot of your software probably will not work with the NTSF system.Good luck, dek

Bill,I made the change from FAT32 to NTFS and it has worked flawless for me. I cannot say that FS2002 runs faster, but I sure have no problems with stutters etc. It "appears" that my disk reads are much smoother.I am NOT running any special software on my system, so I have had no compatiblity problems with any of the software programs I have installed. I agree that it is a much superior file system than FAT.For Heather, go to the MSXP Help section for an explanation of how to make the change. The way I did it however, was to buy the excellent program Partion Magic, and I let it do it in about 5 minutes for all my hard drives. I cannot say enough good things about Partion Magic. Excellent software for Hard Drives, and when I did have a questrion their customer support was super.CheersBob JohnsonKDEN

Hy, Heather!In NT/Win2000 the command was "convert c: /fs:ntfs" (replace c: with the drive of your choice). I guess it will still work. Just try to type "convert /?" (it will do no harm, because /? will call the help for this tool) in a DOS-Box or in the "Run-Box" to test it.Another way is to buy PowerQuest

Hy!100% agree. PartitionMagic can do it. And, it can convert back to FAT, if needed... :-)It sure is a good buy.Greetings,Danny(from germany, so please be kind about my "english")

Guest ScottPilot

NTFS WORKS GREAT!!!!I just converted all my partitions from FAT32 to NTFS this weekend. I have noticed a performance increase in FS2K2 since doing the conversion!Also, I have noticed a performance increase overall in Windows XP Pro since doing the conversion.Now, many people recommend NOT doing the conversion, but first backing up ALL data first, then re-formatting your HD. HOWEVER, THIS DOES NOT HAVE TO BE DONE!If you use the following procedure, converting to NTFS is NO different from converting while setting up Windows XP and formatting your drives then.The key is, you need to force the Master File Table to be ONE - unfragmented file. This is the procedure that can be used to accomplish the NTFS conversion, without fragmenting the MFT. Here is the procedure as outlined in the book: "WindowsXP, Inside & Out", by the Microsoft Press.To improve your system

Hi Dek,With all respect, that is a falicy. Only low level software can be incompatible with NTFS (defraggers, etc). All of these have been updated to be fully XP NTFS compatible many moons ago (Norton Utilities, Partition Magic, etc).Any standard software (games, applications, utilities, etc) can't see any difference in the underlying file system - regardless of what it is. I'm not debating the pros or cons of NTFS in this post, simply clearing up any possible confusion the statement above may cause.Take care,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font