Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilC

You people with G4 Ti4200 cards....

Guest PhilC

I just recently ordered the Gainward G4 Ti4200 128Mb card and was just wondering if anyone has any advice about which drivers work the best with FS2002. I'm not concerned about any other games at all.Also, are there any 'must have' tweakers, software or utilities I should be thinking about? Links would be nice. :-)

Phil, since you'll pretty much be on the cutting edge, you can pretty much keep up to date with the drivers. If one doesn't work well for you, you can always roll back one, and then wait for the next to see if it fixes your problem.As far as utilities goes, I'm not a hardcore tweaker, but I have installed RivaTuner. That's probably the one to get, but others may differ on that. Sorry, don't have the link, but you'll find it easily.Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/ERJ.jpg

Hi. I have a Gainward G4 Ti4200 64mb 3.2 ns "Gold Sample". I am not sure if you ordered the Gold Sample model or not, but they are gauranteed to overclock, and they ship a little utility which allows you to set the GPU and memory clock speeds. But that's not really important IMHO...your benchmark scores will go up but you won't notice a difference in gameplay (at least I can't tell the difference).ANYWHO, I have been using the Nvidia (www.nvidia.com) 40.41 (I believe is the version) beta drivers on XP SP1 and think I have got them running pretty stable now. Initially I was having some problems with the panels being corrupt looking, but I switched from 16bit to 32bit color mode (1024x768x16 -> 1024x768x32) and that problem disappeared. I then had a problem when having anti-aliasing enabled in the game...the alt and esacpe menus would not appear. So what I did was change the AA setting in the Windows video settings menu (not in the game) from "let applications choose AA setting" to "Always use xxx setting" and set it to the 8x (max) setting. That problem went away and the graphics look awesome now. Played for several hours last night without incident.I'd also recommend making sure you have the latest drivers installed for your motherboard chipset (which includes the AGP driver). This will depend on what motherboard you have. I get mine from VIA's website (I think it's www.viatech.com).Good luck, and congrats on the new card! FS2002 sure looks nice when you can turn the quality sliders up more.

My card came with the 29.42 drivers and they seem to work flawlessly.I was using the 1152x864x16 setting on my GF2MX with 12.41 drivers. Now, I am using 1280x960x32 resolution and get better framerates and way better scenery rendering out into the distance.No need for tweaking.. works right out of the box!

Bert

As I passed on in another thread a couple of days ago, here's how I have mine setup:I've changed the {TERRAIN} section of the fs2002.CFG file so it looks like this:TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=1.000000'TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1'TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=2.500000'TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000'TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=60.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=40.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4The vertex level change was a result of Justin Tyme's advice to get really high-resolution mesh to display properly and the other three lines were changed to improve the terrain texture detail when looking toward the horizon.I have also tweaked the drivers just a bit to get the level of detail in the ground scenery to where I like it. I have set the Level Of Detail (LOD) bias to -.5, FSAA is set to 4sX, and anisotropic filtering is set to level 8 (64-tap). All the driver settings can be made with RivaTuner ( http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/ ). I think these settings are a good place to start and then you can just tune them to your individual liking(s). (CPU speed is also a factor here as the higher FSAA and filtering options may not be the best choices on a slower or mid-speed system.)I'm back using the 30.82 drivers and I recommend them highly. The 40.41's were a bit faster but I experienced a number of lockups with complete loss of video with them (they are the only drivers that I've ever had lock - all the way back to the 3dfx days).TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward 64MB GF4 Ti4200 300/57030.82's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 13089http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4330740

Guest PhilC

Gee... thanks all. I knew that I could count on the members here.Good info.PS - I did get the Gold Sample card.