Sign in to follow this  

Classical Music

Wha-ha-hey, Geof ... my wife's uncle was lead violin with the DSO some years ago, and three of her family have played with the Orchestra!Maybe we can expect your next CD to be for the flightsim market! Hey, now that's an idea ...Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

"What type of composing/arranging do/did you do?"Bit of TV, occasional film, theatre. Lot's of ads (yuk)and some arranging for a couple of London Orchestras. A varied menu - gradually displaced by increasing use of MIDI and machine based substitutes, stimulating occasionally but a poor substitute for live music.I'm on my way to a look-up on your illustrious career!Rob

Wagner...except in the tropics. Then it's Buffet! (only classical to parrotheads!) :)Don

Guest bones

A bit out of favour these days but I still enjoy Rachmaninov. Did anyone ever discover the truth of the dedication (Romans XII) on the manuscript?Corelli should be given more attention too.At the moment I'm listening to some symphonies by Leopold Kozeluh, previously unknown to me but pleasant listening.

I can't fly with all sounds off that's why I listen to Back in the USSR, by the Beatles... that jet intro is marvelous! Great classical music isn't it?

Guest eko

I knew us musisicans were all closet simmers. :-)I too am in the music field as my "day" job. I'm an orchestra director at a private school, and compose a wide assortment of "eclectic" music.(Shameless plug: http://www.mp3.com/neosonic) :-)Holsts' Planets is a fantastic piece to sim by, but to relax on a flight I listen to Bach's Air on the G String from his Orchestral Suite in D. I just loop that baby over and over and lull myself into a false sense of security while the autopilot is on. :-)(I quickly switch to the third movement of Beethoven's sixth when I see storm clouds approaching... classical listeners will understand what I mean... hehe.)

I can't believe nobody has said, "Rhapsody in Blue" - the United Airlines theme music. Best airline music of all time

ugcx_banner.png

Guest JonP01

Geofa,Would that happen to be the violin? There must be something about music and flying.I very nearly became a professional violinist, but turfed it all in when the realisation came of what a difficult profession it would have been. I was doing my Associate Diploma at the time but to my regret only successfully finished eighth grade.One of the biggest mistakes of my life though was to sell the violin I had spent several years looking for. BIG mistake!. It was a Stephano Scarampella dated 1889. I bought it for $4800 back in 1982. I think they can fetch $30K + for the best examples now. It didn't have great carrying power, but boy it was nice under the ear for chamber music.

Guest Dominik Mann

Nothing truly spectacular here...Holst (The Planets), some bits and pieces from Beethoven, Verdi, Orff (Carmina Burana), Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev. Apart from that (though it is not really classical music in a true sense) I have come to appreciate Vangelis' Mythodea. Hardly beatable , especially when you're flying at dusk, dawn or night.

Didn't realize there are so many classical music fans among us simmers. I pretty much listen to anything classical from Bach to Boulez. For longer flights, I prefer some of the longer symphonic works of Mahler or Bruckner. If I am doing transoceanic flights, I might leave the plane on autopilot and practice piano for a few hours. Misha

Hmmm....to me Bach's music is proof of the existence of Bach.Frank