Sign in to follow this  
kerosene31

I LIKE "MY TRAFFIC".............

Like many, I have no time to utilize PAI. I assume it is a fine site with good stuff, but I dont have the time, so I plopped down my $$ for My Traffic and proceeded to watch the traffic at 2X and 4X speed on my FS2002 over several hours. I went to a multitude of large and smaller airports everywhere world wide. I can't speak to everyone's favorite field, but what I did see was a very nice spread of properly placed major airlines, Package delievery airlines and general aircraft and where they were supposed to be. Yes, there were a few minor "what is that airliner doing there", but that was at a very small field. The quality of the aircraft is good, not great, but good. The frame hit was nothing to speak of. Now, these are all departing aircraft. While at KSFO, I saw several landings, but this was harder to ascertain at other airfields, but I didn't stay long at any field, even at 2X or 4X. Personally, this is fine. I am tired of the "go arounds", not realistic and obviously not fixable until FS2004 (hopefully!!) and I dont care about other traffic En route. Now, I thought I was taking a chance with this product. Never heard of My Traffic people, and I thought 29.99 EURO (nearly the same US) was a bit steep for an add-on from a company I'd never heard of, but I took the plunge and am glad I did. I'm very pleased. Currently, there is no editor, but one is on the way, the question being, is there going to be a further charge for it. Well, I can say right now that even if there is a bit more $$ to be put down on it, I'll likely buy it too! AND I like the lack of a registration #. Purchasing was easy, you got instant access to the correct files. The Sound patch was GREAT! as well. I have airlines I never have had with FS2002. I give this add-on a solid A-

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

"Like many, I have no time to utilize PAI."I don't follow. I have very little free time, but Project AI's site is well organised and its content amazing stuff given that it's freeware. It's a breeze to use, as it does everything for you ... no more trying to work out how to do it all. I realise you've gone your own route, but for other readers there ain't nowt wrong with PAI and it takes no time at all to install the individual downloads.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

There isn't anything wrong with PAI, but I can see where he's coming from. I've heard that MyTraffic has a smaller download file than PAI, and for dialup users like myself that is a major factor. MyTraffic sounds like a good deal to me :).

If you can set the time setting to 2x or 4x, that means the flights are not real world schedules, are they? What airlines are installed?

I've looked at that, but have decided not to buy it. I do agree, however, that the PAI installers leave a lot to be desired. It's a very difficult thing to work with. (I get some traffic, and others do not ever show up). However, there will be new installers coming out that will be easy to work with, so I'm going to wait for that. Frank says it should'nt be too much longer.Darrell

Hi,Do you have any third party airports such as the Simflyers series. Just wondering if the My Traffic aircraft properly follow the taxiways and runways. I was under the impression that My Traffic overwrites any customizations such as the AI patch provided by Simflyers.Thanks,Pesi

specifically supported, but the My Traffic people have said time and time again that they will do this IF the 3rd Party programmers will give them a ring, pretty reasonable I think. I set my rate for observation to 2X or 4X, what in the world does that comment mean. The schedule runs the same (??????). I used ARRad and between KLAS and KSFO there was 2-12 aircraft all the time, averaging 5-6. This is a great addon and dont tell me that installing and running PAI is easy.

>dont tell me that installing and running PAI is >easy. Click link. Wait for file to download. Double-click downloaded file. Hit OK.If MyTraffic is really easier than that, I'm very impressed.Not that I have anything against MyTraffic, but I am very happy with ProjectAI, so I don't want to see other people turned away from it.Matt

dont tell me that installing and running PAI is easy.Easy in FSdom is a subjective term. I do find PAI VERY easy to install and use even manually installing is easy but the same obvioulsy doesn't ring true for you or others for that fact. It seems that some are having better luck than others in getting PAI to work properly on the first try. Options to PAI like MyTraffic are a great thing and anything that helps enhance YOUR flightsim experience is a good thing. Would I spend the money for it, not at this point because PAI gives me all that I need right now. Who knows what advances MyTraffic may bring us in the future!Have fun loading up your airports!Mikehttp://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/boeingsig.jpg

That is NOT how PAI is installed - this is how:1) Download 50 packages one by one (OK, I do not know how many their are precisely, that's not really important here). No way of just saying "give it all to me" and let it move from package to package by itself.2) Run the installers IN THE RIGHT ORDER - which you will find by reading the PAI forum.3) Correct callsigns in the aircraft.cfg files.4) Update the FDE (notice that the way they are packaged, you can't just copy them to your "aircraft" directory - no, you have to go into each single aircraft file and on top of it all you have to edit aircraft.cfgI must say I consider the current installer 100% useless - and I do not have time for it, neither do I have time for the manual stuff. It is not becourse I do not know how it works - I do, but I simply have better things to do with my time that performing repetitive tasks - precisely the stuff a computer is good at doing on it's own, so why should I do it?Anyway, PAI should release a new installer in some relatively short time (a few weeks if I remember correctly from their forum) - I hope that will make it less timeconsuming to install.

I wonder what can be easier than just click,click,click (and pressing enter once or twice)?PAI installers have always worked flawlessly for me. The only bugs I've found are incorrect atc_airline names in some aircraft but that's easily fixed (and rare).

>That is NOT how PAI is installed - this is how: >>1) Download 50 packages one by one (OK, I do not know how >many their are precisely, that's not really important here). >No way of just saying "give it all to me" and let it move >from package to package by itself. That's if you want them all. If you fly only in Europe, you don't need the rest...Great plus IMO, especially if you're limited in bandwidth...>2) Run the installers IN THE RIGHT ORDER - which you will >find by reading the PAI forum. After the core package, that goes for only 2 that contain fixes for that. And without those, it will still work albeit you're missing a few airports.All the others can be installed in any order you wish.>3) Correct callsigns in the aircraft.cfg files. A few bugs in those, yes. But that doesn't prevent it from working.>4) Update the FDE (notice that the way they are packaged, >you can't just copy them to your "aircraft" directory - no, >you have to go into each single aircraft file and on top of >it all you have to edit aircraft.cfg >Not needed. Haven't done it myself and it works just fine (OK, some aircraft behave a bit weird on touchdown, but that makes it more fun to watch them :-) ).

>............... but the My Traffic people have said >time and time again that they will do this IF the 3rd Party >programmers will give them a ring, pretty reasonable I >think. It may sound reasonable but for someone like me, who has spent a lot on additional airports, it is not very reasonable! 3rd party airports come out almost daily, and unless there is an easy fix, we have to wait for My Traffic to correct each and every one when, and if, they receive the info.With PAI patterns and gates are relatively simple to correct.http://members.cox.net/pstepanoff/images/OK_c2.gifPete S

We are in the process of inplementing a much easier and powerful installer that Olivier has coded from scratch. All PAI releases are being fixed and repackaged.As some of you know I recently took the helm at PAI, lot's of cleaning up and fixing being done by the 45+ volunteers.The old method of installing is too messy at times as some of you have seen, something that doesn't please me at all. That's why EVERY PAI release to date is being redone, it's a big chore but were not to far away from migrating to this new and much better method of installing PAI.As always, thank you for your support!http://projectai.com/images/frankpai.jpg

Easy to install as you say, click, click, etc. Getting active, various aircraft to actually show up is another story. The thing just does not work for me, (and many others). If you caught my thread about "Helping a Dummy" at the fsnetwork forums, you will notice that I am not alone in having problems with the installers. In fact, Frank has stated that there are problems with their "Autoinstallers", and work is being done to re-do the entire project.It says to run TTools, Afcad, blah, blah. I don't care about a 100 gates at KSLC or KJFK. All I want is real world aircraft moving about, on the ground and in the air.I'm not going to mess with it until the new autoinstallers are available. Then we'll see if Autoinstall really means what it implies.Darrell

Heh...heh, FrankYou sure moved up the ladder, from a "lowly" :D communications officer to CEO. But I'm glad you did, cause I think PAI needed something done to the installers, and you have the desire, and now the POWER to get that done!HEY...wait a minute wasn't Enron in Houston? Hope you not hangin' arround with the "big boys" from there.:-lolYou know!!!.......the CEO Club :-wink2. http://members.cox.net/pstepanoff/images/OK_c2.gifPete S

From what I've seen on their website, the quality of the aircraft aren't even close to the PAI stuff. The My Traffic planes look almost "cartoonish". Is it really like that, or are the screenshots of My Traffic just really bad?

Nice marketing blurb...What is your relationship to the MyTraffic folks?

are certainly not as pretty as others, but it was an instant install and has worked great. You guys can do PAI, that's fine, I just think MyTraffic is a nice alternative to that and I happen to think they will get better.

I downloaded and installed PAI for the first time yesterday. I've installed about 8 packages... and the AI is awesome. No problems what so ever. PAI is the way to go...

I agree. PAI autoinstallers work, but don't work right. After examining aircraft.cfg files and aircraft.txt files, I find too many mismatches. In some cases, there was texture for kenyan airlines in an aircraft folder, but the aircraft.cfg file referred to Namibian airlines for which there was no such texture. There were a whole host of other mismatches that I had to manually correct. Apart from that, there are still several major airlines that are still missing in the PAI liveries - AA, Continental, Northwest etc. Also, there aren't any plans for regional aircrafts - the ATR's and Dash's from the smaller airports. Does "My traffic" have these ?

There is an "order" in which they are supposed to be installed ??!!! Maybe that's why I had so many problems with them? I downloaded all of them and just installed them any which way - and next thing I know I spent 5-6 hours correcting the aircraft.cfg files. :-( What's an FDE ? BTW - is there a reason why PAI has to use all aircraft generated by its own developers. There are several developers out there who I am sure have already made or could make frame-rate friendly gmax models and textures for aircrafts that PAI volunteers have not yet worked on. Why not just incorporate them (giving due credit of course to original authors) ?

I was a bit disappointed to find out that the flight schedules in MyTraffic are not real (as suggested on the Avsim frontpage). In fact, some of them make no sense at all (e.g. "American Flight 11334" - I've yet to hear of a flight with 5 digits). MyTraffic does suggest the editor that is coming soon can be used to add real world schedules but there is nothing to suggest they tried to accomplish that this time around. Still, the major airports are now populated and I think the models look great. Away from the major cities the sky gets a bit quiet though. As for those saying PAI is easy to install, I found that to be the case the very first time. I installed the United and USAir modules without reading the directions and they worked great. After a new harddrive and full reinstall, nothing I could do could bring those flights back. I followed every bit of voodoo advice. And MyTraffic also installs all the AFCAD (?) airport changes that are necessary to have multiple runways at the big airports. I never got close to tackling that on my own. MyTraffic is what I hoped for all along - a commercial version of PAI that's more polished for those who don't want to spend the time tinkering. Now if someone would do the same for taxiwaysigns!David