Sign in to follow this  

Drinking and Simming?

Just out of curiosity, what is the general consensus in the simming community regarding "drinking and simming"? For those of legal age, are you adamant about "eight hours from bottle to throttle" or do you allow yourself the occasional brew (or wine, or hardball, or whatever) while relaxing watching your AI move about or even taking to the skies? On the one hand, I would expect the purists to proclaim that alcohol has no place around any airplane - be it a PC simulator or the real McCoy. On the other, one could argue that this is only a hobby and since it is a form of relaxation then by all means sip away. So do you drink and sim? Has this ever caused you to have a lapse in judgment? Do the professional pilots in the crowd feel any responsibility to behave as you would flying the line? Or is this just a game? Just curious...

Guest dogknot

A short list of some of my favorite customers up here in the bush:1. Ketchikan: Jack Daniels2. Klawock: Jim Beam3. Kodiak: ol' Mad Dog :9 :-beerchug

"what is the general consensus in the simming community regarding "drinking and simming"? This IS serious right?What about a survey to see how many "virtual" pilots announce that "We shall shortly be commencing our (virtual) descent into (virtual) KLAX in our (virtual) B737" .... "Please ensure that your (virtual) tray tables are stowed away and your (virtual) seat belts are fastened". And all this while the wife is in the other room and cannot hear you!I'm sorry and do not wish to appear rude, but aren't the "surveys" that are starting to appear in this forum of late just starting to go downhill more and more?I LOVE simming and the more realistic the better. However, there are real life pointers as to just where the the line between imagined illusion / fantasy and real life reality start and end. IMHO s/he that will not drink because s/he is simming needs REAL help! FAST!Anyhow, in answer to your question I answer as follows:-Drinking problem? No Sir!I drink, I fall over ...... No problem! (Even in my "virtual" cockpit!) Dave B(trying desperately to stop my wife laughing at what this hobby is becoming)

Guest KenG

I usually fly after work. I usually have a couple beers (Shiner Bock) after work. You do the math.I've never had any problems because a couple beers do not impair my virtual judgement that much. However, I have had more than a couple and flown virtually. On one occasion, I fell asleep at the controls. Fortunately, I awoke before I ran out of fuel, but overran my destination by a couple hundred miles. No harm, no foul!

ROFL :DWhat an experience! Did you manage to find an alternate? Or did you just quit the sim?To answer the poll... Yes, I occasionally do have a couple of beers while flying. As the above poster I once in a blue moon had too much and it did impair my judgement when trying to land. Well rather slow the brain down... ;-) But I never, ever fell asleep at the controls. Not yet anyway...I mean this is the beauty of simulators right? You can allow yourself to do these kind of things. Regards

Guest emergency_pants

I sympathise with Dave B's post.Yes, I wouldn't think twice about having a few drinks while I sit at my PC. I'm at home and I'm relaxing!!On the other hand, of course, I could hire a full complement of airline staff and have a copilot and a set of cabin crew in my front room to serve my g/f while 'we' fly someplace. She'll not be allowed to pop out to the shops... I mean... that would be suicide! That's a fall of over 15000ft! I like to tape all my windows up and pressurize the house too. Erm./.. did I just call my Plane a house? Sorry... I must be going mad.Hells bells.... I just saw a car drive past... I must be seeing things... how could a car get up here. Dear me, I must be going mad.Cheers, chin chin, bottoms-up, salutSi ;)

Are you kidding? If I've had a few beers while watching a hockey game the first thing I do is head for the sim and try the most difficult instrument approach I can think of (usually KASE for me). It's a sobering experience (pun intended) to see how much your judgement (or at least mine)can be affected. David

Drink and sim ------- yes. Lapse in sim and forum reply judgment --while under the "influence"----yes!Drink and fly ------- never!Yes,...... this is a hobby, relaxation, entertainment, or a good training aid. But it's definately NOT a real airplane; and I do know the difference! :)L.Adamson

Guest B52Drivr

L.Adam..........Yeah, watch out, Big Brother is listening. Wait and see, soon there will be a program, (secretly hidden within another program), which will do a 'ramp check' on us while simming! LOLOLKnowing some of the individuals on this fourm . . . they will be crying for Microsoft to pull our 'Virtual Tickets', for a violation.Drink? Of course I drink while simming. This is a computer, for God's sake -- not a real aircaft -- no matter how 'real as it gets' gets! Did I ever drink when I flew? Only when I was a passenger and not in control of the aircraft, and then usually enough for me to quit worrying about the pilot up front . . . (we pilots tend to be control freaks, ya know).Although, the way some of the AI aircraft fly in this thing, I'm sure some of the pilots in those planes are a wee bit tipsy . . .Clayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"B52Drivr@aol.com