Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mavyryk

MS vs the Flightsim Community

Please excuse me while I climb onto my soapbox.I attended the AVSIM Conference in September and was impressed by the presence on the MS team. They made their

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Although this is not an answer, it is previous information clearly shown and mentioned by MS ACES.The aim of FSX is to include the 'GAMING' section as most who frequent these columns know already. We, accordingley are only a fraction of MS sales of flightsim programs.I don't know, living in the UK, as I wasn't at the Avsim Conferance, whether this was promised or not?MS is a business and as such they look after the 'big boys' first. We, on the other hand, are their unappreciated beta testers. Flightsim games simulation is the benchmark for all other games because we, are the ones that tweak and do MS a free service by making the game better.Life is a ####, isn't it. Just my four penneth.

>>It would seem to me that if MS really wanted to support the community, they would be sure that pillars of the community. like AVSIM, were not penalized for their size or sales volume. Surely MS could have diverted a few cases of early delivery FSX from Best-Buy to AVSIM and offered them the same deal that they made with Best-Buy.>>With friends like Microsoft.....well, you know the rest of the quote. No, I'm not talking about the new IE7 that is giving me fits, or the onerous MS product activation scheme......I am talking about the exact point made in your post above. How ironic that the Aces team in their blogs talk about the importance of feedback from the flight sim community when many of us still have not been able to get our preorders! I still have not received my FSX preorder as of today, Oct 28th.Not only was AVSIM and its dedicated simmers left high and dry, but also simmers like me who ordered from PC Aviator. PC Aviator has had its order for 4100 copies of FSX pushed back weekly until the latest date for delivery to PC Aviator is now NOV 7. PC Aviator offered a very good package deal, including a free subscription to their magazine, and I ordered from them in part to support their efforts in bringing a quality flight sim magazine to our community, and I am therefore reluctant to cancel my preorder, especially when it is beyond the control of PC Aviator. But loyalty comes with a price, especially when I stroll past the dozens of FSX copies now on the shelves of several local stores, even at a discount at Costco!Although I praise the new openness of the Aces team, and I myself have been enjoying the FSX demo and am very much looking forward to receiving my copy of FSX, I deplore the way Microsoft has treated the flight sim community in its lack of concern for AVSIM and PC Aviator with regards to product distribution and support.- When FSX started appearing well before the Oct 17 release date, MS thought nothing of activating those programs early (I assume they saw this "rush out to find FSX frenzy" as good promotion.)- Delivering thousands of copies to the big box stores at discounts before ensuring that stalwarts of the flight sim community such as AVSIM and PC Aviator had orders filled is unforgiveable. (Is it true that MS has still not sent the "free" copies promised at the AVSIM conference?)- I have not received any response to my emails through various channels to Microsoft regarding the distribution snafu. Neither, according to his posts at PC Aviator, has Mr. Ferraro, who is still trying to secure his preorder of 4100 copies of FSX for his loyal flightsimmers.In the ned, I guess there is not anything to be done, except to vent frustrations here. I guess we must resign ourselves to being >>their underappreciated beta testers>> when it comes to flight simulation. I would ask that if you feel similarly underappreciated, that you voice this concern to Microsoft.Steve JonesKHEF

It's not really fair to blame the Aces MSFS developers, whom you met at the AVSIM Conference, for snafus up the distribution pipeline. Once they Go RTM, they have very little to do with the distribution. MS isn't a ma and pa organization where the developers are likely to make the distibution decisions. The place is a huge bureaucracy where, I'm sure, often one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.The AVSIM Store situation was indeed unfortunate, but I doubt any of the Aces developers had much say in the matter.-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Thank you Justin!For those that haven't seem my introduction in Tom's "Update on FSX shipment to AVSim conf attendees" post, I'm the Community and Partner Development Manager for Microsoft Simulations (aka ACES).While forums are a good place to exchange information they are also a place where people can take out their frustrations without empathy to those on the recieving end of their posts.As mentioned in my other post, I wish I could "wave my magic wand" and make all this better. Right now I'm stepping up to the plate and letting people know I'm taking responsibility for this situation.I'll be on the forums regularly and am looking forward to a healthy and positive dialog with AVSim and Flight Sim fans alike.Thanks!Brett "Mavyryk" Schnepf