Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

FS3, Is it worth the trouble?

Guest outtatimeiii

A friend of mine at school just passed FlightSim 3 on to me yesterday for me to try on my old IBM XT (Yes i still got one and its more reliable than my new 1.2GHz comp). I noticed that this wasnt on a normal 5 1/4 disk, so I figured what the heck and threw my old 486's 3.5 floppy drive in. I managed to get it to 'somewhat' work with ancient DOS 3.30. Ok, the prob I have now is that my old IBM will not see 1.44MB floppies (only 720K or below), and FS3 seems to be a 1.44 floppy (It will read on my new comp but not on the other comp).Do you think its even worth it to even get FS3 on my old XT? I have only 1 DD 720K floppy, and its half full with bad sectors. I really want to see FS3 (I still like playing old games), but I really dont think its worth the trouble since I gotta use a broke disk to transfer from comp to comp.Any suggestions?Thanks

"Do you think its even worth it to even get FS3 on my old XT?"Cant help you with the installation, but if you get it up and running it will make you appreciate just how far things have come in a short time. So very often in these forums we see the whingers who complain about this and that and that any version of FS is a pile of S-H-ONE-T.Maybe if more of these whingers saw what was available not so long ago they would shut up once and for all and be just a little more appreciative of what is available today and just how we have come.Dave B

It would be cool to play with FS3 from a historical point of view. If you want to find some more floppies, try a thrift shop or any computer store that speciallizes in used equipment.

1)Copy the files from the 1.44 FS3 floppy to the HD on your 1.2GHz machine.2) Then format a new floppy as a 720 disk format /F:720 (for WinXP its format a: /t:80/n:9 )3) Copy the FS3 files back to your newly formatted 720 floppy. Regards. Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Guest klucznik

Hi, I'm not sure an XT will handle it but I had plenty of fun with FS3 and SubLogic's IP-East and IP-West on a 8Mhz 286AT. No scenery, everything was yellow, but IP was the first release of any flight-sim add-on that gave you all the airports and Navaids. That's how one learns to use Navaids, I'll tell you.Have Fun

Guest SlimDady

Well I have flightsim 4.. I enjoyed it.. Its good for a kick..I had the scenery editor and plane maker thing..You can customize all the features of the plane.. elongating wings and stuff.. Fun to play with

You may need to block one of the holes on the actual floppy disk. There are two ones on a HD disk, one for setting write protection, and the other to indicate that it's a HD floppy (1.44 MB). If you put something over that hole it will work just like a DD floppy.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest outtatimeiii

Yeah as I found out earlier today, FS3 does not like my XT too well LOL. I formatted the 720K disk, got it over to the XT, and got it installed, but it wont run. It tries to load it, but the XT with a 8088 4.77MHz CPU with a low res CGA card really limit it. It crashed when it tried to load. Oh well. Maybe I can get it to work on my 1.2GHz LOL.Thanks