Sign in to follow this  
michal

Bears' (and our) dilemma

I started a new topic relating to the recent Avsim frontpage article by Bear -- because the other one was starting to degenerate into a slanging match. What I hope to do here is to generate some ideas on how to get what we all want.Our combined dilemma is - just how do we get reviews of excellent addons in the face of the thousands of addons that pour into the library. I do believe that Bears' new idea of what he intends to do to continue his excellent past reviews will not work -- because his (and our) main problem is that no one person has the time to download , install and evaluate every addon . So , even with the best of intentions, I think he will still be swamped!We can look at the most downloaded files in the statistics section -- I am sure that most of us do that already. But that does not uncover the hidden gems !Somebody mentioned a "rating" service somewhere - I am not aware of where this is - and if it exists , it must not be much promoted because I am in this forum everyday and have not as yet come across it.Flightsim.com runs a monthly "best download" competition -- that is one solution to the problem -- whether it is the best, I don't know.So - common , lets have some ideas.Barry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>We can look at the most downloaded files in the statistics >section -- I am sure that most of us do that already. Barry,I don't have the problem but I really download only a tiny fraction - the rest does not interest me. I am mainly interested in sceneries and when I see something interesting I read description and also look at the size of the zip. If there is an airport file and the download is less than say 1 MB - it is often indication that quality is perhaps not that great. Also author's name may ring a bell. I check the Avsim front page daily and really only one file per 3-4 days may look interesting enough that I will download it. Then I try it out and if it does not look very good - I immediately delete it. I think I have quite a few "gems" on my HD.Michael J.[link:jdtllc.com]http://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg