Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Damian or anyone who knows: the awful low haze layer . . .

I am very much enjoying FS2004 with the exception of how it handles low lying haze when using real-time weather. I haven't loaded my copy of ActiveSky yet. This haze layer shows up particularly around coastal mountains and looks absolutely unrealistic with my rig. There does not seem to be a fix (with realtime weather) internally, and from reading the guide with FSUIPC I can't tell if there is any relief in terms of graduated visibility in FS2004 as there may have been with FS2002. Can anyone here tell me if FSUIPC and/or ActiveSky can remedy this? And as a side note, I was an ActiveSky user every flight with 02. Is it worth the upgrade to 1.9 now, or no? I was going to wait til version 2 comes along and particularly the private server. Again, my chief complaint is the very uniform, very fake looking low haze layer.Noel

Hi Noel,This is simply how FS2004 does low vis on the ground now. FS2002 didn't have fog layer generation so low vis's weren't shown this way. Now when the vis is below 10 you tend to get a related visual haze/fog layer. Unfortunately the edges that touch the ground are not smoothed in any way at close range (if you look out in the distance, however, you will notice smoothing of such edges.The only thing we can do at the moment is restrict minimum visibility with FSUIPC. In the future I can perhaps use transition techniques to alter the visibility when above the "layer" to be higher (no haze) and instead draw the haze with a low FEW/SCT cloud layer. When reaching the virtual layer, the vis will then be smoothed to actual. Not sure this would work but I'll have a go when I get some time.. :)-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Noel,To answer your second question: you can use wxRE with FS04. All you need is the free/pay version of FSUIPC 3.xxx installed. I also suggest an update to the latest beta version of AS. The link is posted in another thread here.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Thanks for the answer. This is an awful oversight of MS in my opinion. FS2002 handled this in a much more visually appealing way IMO. Shame shame on them for releasing what truly looks like Alpha verion 1.0 with regard to this issue.Noel