Hi allI am a long term FSMeteo user but after the recent spot of bother Marc has got himself into I am considering a switch to Active Sky.However before I do so I would be grateful for advice on whether or not Firewalls, LANs and Transparent proxying are issues with Active Sky (they aren't for FSMeteo - at least not for me). I have all of these and am not able to disable them.Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest Mark McG

Bruce,I use AS behind Nroton's Internet Security.I have had no issues with AS and the Norton's Firewall.

Bruce,Thanks for your interest in our product. As long as you allow access to the data server you should not have any problems.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest bfindlay

Jim - I have a question related to this issue.AS2004 is now using your proprietary servers. I would like to know if there is a way we can choose to use METAR downloads from government/FS default (ie Jeppesen) servers as per wxRE. The reason I ask is, I would like to be able to continue using this product in the unlikely event that HIFI is no longer a going concern.

bf,VATSIM is there for departing and destination weather.Please, please don't take this next part the wrong way! I am not attacking you for asking a legit. question, but we need to review some history.About a year ago wxRE was released. Users thought it was great. It didn't use default FS weather downloads, the data was from NOAA, it was accurate, it was up to date. Then every ONCE AND AWHILE, the servers, which are under government control, would go down. People were up in arms. "How can you sell us this stuff. The servers are always down. I want my money back. You guys stink. Downloads take too long. We want a private server." We heard this and more. Damian took all this into account and started designing a private weather server in conjunction with his new release for FS2004. So less than 6 months after the official release of FS2004, Active Sky 2004 goes on sale and the server is working great. Archived weather snapshots, accurate world wide METARs, winds aloft data, the users wishes were listened to as many as possible were granted.Now, with the "other" developments in the last few weeks, users have a LEGIT. concern about the future. They have paid good money and want long term value. I don't blame anyone. But, for now the private server/VATSIM are the only options. I don't honestly know anything more. Again, you have a legit. concern and I hope I answered it without attacking you! Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Hi, to add to this:Public goverment servers simply do not provide the type of data and completeness that we need to make FS2004 station-based weather work appropriately.We need the ENTIRE world's data, for METAR, TAF and WINDS ALOFT downloaded simultaniously and then processed into usable data. To do that via public servers would mean download of over 200MB and subsequent processing EVERY 10 MINUTES (for METAR info, less for other info, but you get the idea). Obviously a user can't do this. That's what our HiFi DataNet is for. Currently the HiFi DataNet has been operating for over 4 months without any actual downtime (only for scheduled maintenance and pre-release development testing). This system includes redundant network connections and redundant hardware equipment to prevent problems.In conclusion, much thought and design has gone into the HiFi DataNet and we feel it is a very strong system that beats any public source hands-down. The HiFi DataNet will be consistently supported and available for AS2004 users for a long time to come. In fact, we have plans for other products (our own and those of partner developers) which utilize HiFi DataNet, and I can only see this system becoming stronger and larger with even more redundancy.Hope that helps!Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpg

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest bfindlay

Jim - thanks for the resopnse. And dude - you must be dealing with some sensitive types lately - no 'attack' noticed. I have noticed over the years how easy it is to come across snarky on email etc, and say things that one would never say to someone face to face. I understand your caution - but my skin is thicker than that! :-)Again, thanks.

JimThank you for your response. While the concerns I expressed about FSMeteo have now been satisfactorily dealt with and won't now be making an early change I continue to be interested in ActiveSky and find this forum very informative.Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."