Sign in to follow this  
ChrisJake

square cloud "lines" at altitude

hello all...not really sure if this is an activesky issue or possibly a FSW cloud issue. figured i'd post it in this forum where possibly both Damien and Chris Willis could see it....anyways...over the past 2 days i've installed both the activesky2004.5 update AND FSW's new high-cloud-performance clouds available over at FS.com. now, when i'm at altitude i noticed that i'm over a nice smooth, flat layer of overcast but there are thin-lined, "taller" clouds that form the outline of a square. kind of makes it look like a checkerboard. from the AS2004.5 update, the only default setting that i've changed was to "extend TS levels" (i think thats how it read). when installed FSW's clouds, i used their DXT3 textures rather than 32bit.can anyone offer any ideas? thxchris

Hi Chris,This is caused by many things, but is basically an FS9 issue. It has to do with the depiction differences between stratus and cumulus cloud layers. When they are close to each other and several cloud layers are present it is more common.You can reduce you max cloud layer amount down (AS options), and also try improving general FS performance to help with cloud drawing (frames locked at 25, max vis reduced a bit, cloud draw range reduced, etc.). Turning off overcast enhancement can also help.We are actively developing new cloud depiction routines which will eventually make this issue a thing of the past :)

ahhh...i see. altho, i didnt notice it before changing the cloud textures? i'll play around with the settings you mention.its actually a pretty cool effect....if only there was some way to randomize it, rather than having it square off.thanks, Damianedited for spelling