Sign in to follow this  

Happy New Year,I'm not sure if this is an AS2004.5 problem or a networking issue (though I betting it's a network issue), however, since AS2004.5 is the only program I'm having this problem with, thought I would post here to pick people's brains.Running AS2004.5 through WideFS on laptop. Have ALL firewalls (ZoneAlarm, ICF) and Anti-virus (MCAfee) disabled to try and troubleshoot this. Am using WinXP ICS, which is set up on the desktop machine. Everything is setup as far as sharing goes (not using simple sharing) and the account I'm using on my laptop has full admin access to the desktop. Am able to share files and do have internet access on the laptop (able to web browse and also use ServInfo), also am able to ping remote machines (able to ping www.hifisim.com from the laptop). BTW, using FSUIPC 3.44 and WideFS 6.44 (though don't think that's relavant here).I load up AS2004.5, it recognizes what airport I'm at in the Closest Station section, but it dies trying to download the current Wx, just hangs there with no internet activity. I've read in other posts that it could be a problem with ZoneAlarm (even though it's shut down). Added AS2004.5 to ZoneAlarm giving it full access, then shut down ZoneAlarm completely. Even killed all ZoneAlarm and McAfee processes to be sure.AS2004.5 works fine on the desktop, but only have issues with AS2004.5 attempts to connect to the internet on the laptop (though every other app on the laptop can connect without issue). Thought it might be a port setting, but can't find anywhere in the documentation on what ports AS2004.5 uses. I'm at wits end here. Anyone have any ideas?Cheers,-Dan

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

Dan,I can't offer you a solution but can assure you that it should work even with ZA (free version) active.I have a 2 PC setup (both desktops) and from the sound of it set up like yours.I have AS2004.5 on the PC that has internet access, the PC running FS9 has no internet access, AS2004.5 'talks' to FS9 via Widefs and FSUIPC.The only reason to run ICS is if you want to access the Internet from the PC that is not directly connected to the 'Net.If AS2004.5 is NOT on the PC with direct 'Net connection try making it so, if just for checking.OTOH Jim may come along with a better answer.

Hi Dan,This is a longshot, but I just had a similar problem. AS would not even attempt to connect to the internet.I found a thread in the MS general forum about error problems connecting with FS9 builtin Real Weather. Turns out my Internet Explorer was set to "work offline" (I use Firefox). Once I set it to "online", FS Real Weather and AS both worked. Check IE on your internet machine and make sure on the File menu, "work offline" is unticked. Hope this helps, best of luck.

>This is a longshot, A longshot it is... But he shoots and he scores! That was the problem. I use Firefox exclusively and it never occured to me to be an IExplorer issue. Thanks so much, I appreciate it(raises my Gin & Tonic in toast!).Cheers,-Dan

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

Dan,Glad to hear it worked! I too use Firefox and don't recall ever setting IE to offline, AS just suddenly stopped working a few days ago. At least its an easy fix!Cheers,