Sign in to follow this  
Guest scupper

Seeking Heavy Weather, Not Avail, What to do

Guest scupper

Hi, really need to load up somewhat heavy weather.Not available in your fairly new history files.Do I have any options with AS or go back to FS04 and use theirweather?Thanks,Scupper

Hi,What do you mean "not available in your fairly new history files"?Every 6 hours for over the past year the weather server has been archiving worldwide weather. You want rain? Download some of the files from about a week ago and go to the US West, South and then East coast. Want weather from 24 hours ago? It's there, waiting for you.You have to do a little bit yourself, like know the date of the heavy weather and it's location. Sorry we can't do everything for you.How about current weather? Been to weather.com to find any somewhat heavy weather?Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest bonjourmoi44

Hi. On a side note I go to weather.com before every flight. Also, I call the ATIS to see what is going on at my arrival location. I know, I know. But we do what we have to do to make it fun. Also, I am not sure where, but I have heard of a program that you can type in what weather you want and it will find where in the world that weather is occurring. Do some research and I am sure you will not be disappointed. Good luck.

Guest scupper

"Sorry we can't do everything for you."Jim, First, If you

Try this, Scupper.Go to www.wunderground.com. Query on the ICAO code of your area of interest. When the display is finished I also suggest clicking on show full METARS in the upper left under current weather. Let the page reload.Go to one of the history sections and see if you can find a date/time with challenging weather. Covert the time to UTC and download it from the AS archives.Now whether or not I'm flying I frequently download current weather when I know it is interesting and save it into a folder that is descriptive of the type and season. I also go to weather.com and save the national situation (fronts, vis, and radar) renamed for the date and UTC matching the downloaded file name from AS. I've built up my own library of challenging weather now for different parts of the country.If I know of some interesting dates I follow a similar procedure.Hope this helps.Sure get tired of flying in sunny and 77 weather.

Guest scupper

Greetings Ronzie, I've used that site for some time now, never had any idea that could be done. All I've ever used it for is local forcasts.I sure hope your suggestion works out, sounds like just the ticket.Many/Many/Many Thanks,Scupper

Guest scupper

Hi Jim, Oh forget it, I sure as heck didn

Guest bluepilot

While I'm not using AS (yet) - just perusing the forum while plucking up the courage to take the plunge - Try this:Weather from the week starting 2004/11/09 ....Fly around the Caymans through Cuba to Pensacola, FL 2004/16/09I hope IVAN is heavy enough for you.:-jumpy

Keep in mind that during IVAN a few weather reporting stations closed down for a time and no METARS were available.

Yeah just go to www.weather.com , look at the national radar and see where the storms are - there's almost always one somewhere in the country - plan a flight in the middle of it and load up AS2004 in live mode... there's your heavy weather!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest allblack

Hi Jim, are you still talking to me???I read Scupper's post with great interest, given the conversations you and I have had, and I see his point entirely.I've also looked at the other comments, and it's all good.Clearly you have a very good product, there's no argument there, but has AS given any thought to producing default weather patterns as they do in FS?I've got three kids, and quite frankly I don't have time when I get home to cruise the globe on various sites trying to find weather that takes my fancy. My FS time is limited (kids again-they want to play The Sims!!), and in an ideal world I could load up my flight, go to AS and select the weather I want from set parameters, and go flying.Like Scupper, I'm not lazy, just challenged for FS time and this is a suggestion, not a criticism of the product.CheersTim

Hi Tim,Of course I am still talking to you! Did I miss something? I know in the general fourm I supported your opinion of AS because of our conversations!!Now here you mention "weather patterns". Now, when I see this phrase I think of this: You are sitting at an airport and it's a hot, humid summer day. The clouds are building in number and height. Off to the west the sky is darkening and lightening starts flashing. The winds start to build and the sky turns dark. Thunder is all around and the rain starts pounding your plane. After a time things lift and the sun comes out and the summer storm moves off to the east.Now, every day from May to October, somewhere in North America this happens and AS captures this and can display it. At other times of the year, in other locations, it happens too.I still think you are looking for more FS weather themes. Because of your time constraints, (which are for sure real!) you want to be able to set up your weather choices and quickly fly. Right now, our major thrust has been real-time weather, with a flight planner and a visual display. I am not sure if AS Next will have any type of "theme based" weather feature. Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest allblack

Hi Jim, yeah I meant weather themes, just worded it badly.Thanks for your reply. Just wanted to throw the idea out there for comments. If you ever do it, I'm totally converted.Your choice of weather is very good. Over the last few weeks I've been watching CNN and BBC TV (coz NZ tv is rubbish), and I've watched storm fronts coming through from Canada across the top of the US, and have done a few flights out of KBOS and KJFK and Minneapolis.Must have timed it badly, because I never seemed to get what was on TV! I'm not sure how often your database is updated for weather, but I seemed to miss it.That said, I flew the bottom of Norway last night with AS weather, and it looked awesome! I've got a pretty grunty PC, but the weather killed my framerates, it was that good! I spent the next 20mins explaing to my boy how PC's worked, and finding that happy compromise between great weather graphics, and being able to fly the plane without it looking like a slideshow.But I digress...I'll keep on trying. I was going to uninstall AS a while ago, (I was grumpy!!) but didn't because I wasn't sure if I could ever get it back.Good talking to you.Tim