Sign in to follow this  
cat

Wing views: commentary

Aha..Different point !Sure with aerobatics the wing view is essential if you want to stay alive. In regard to spot views, yes it's nice to watch the replay and admire a "good" sequence. The best I've ever seen for this has got to be David Maltby's Trident, try it you wont be dissapointed I promise. George

"I consider this the end of my discussion with you"Suits me fine John, I have become very tired of your stalking of everything I have to say, after all you are among the best sim pilots, phew! I cant compete with somebody of such a self stature a real live SimGod. One final thing,"I suspect I have more real stick time, even though only a student, than many of you." I trust this is not directed at me. George

Get used to being "stalked" George, when you choose to insult the rest of the community. If you can't make a point without throwing in such shots as "sad bunch", then I will gladly play "SimGod" and call you on it. In a nutshell, no one has to deal with your insults here. I am not the only one fed up with you.

Just to throw my 2cents in here, I only used 57,000 poly's on the G-IV (the furniture used the most) which is pretty tame for one of my models. Wing views aren't that difficult, just a matter of what's more important to the designer...Rick Sasala

"Wing views aren't that difficult, just a matter of what's more important to the designer"George did raise an interesting point--which is that it seems large jets cannot have both wing views and V/C's. Is this true? If so, why? Other than my suggestion of two .mdl files, can you think of any other way someone can do this in GMAX? I believe your Gulfstream is the largest A/C I've seen with both. It is hard for me to give up a V/C, especially in some of the newer "glass cockpit" heavies. I always prefer V/C view when landing the heavies...-John

When is the last time you flew in a real plane and looked out the left side to find nothing? You wouldn't be here today if that were the case.I'm all for making it as real as it gets if that's the case, but hey each to their own as said earlier no one is stupid for liking or disliking!?

"George did raise an interesting point--which is that it seems large jets cannot have both wing views and V/C's. Is this true?"No it's not true. Again, it's up to the designer. The more poly's you add to a VC i.e. the more complex, the lower the framerates. That's why I try not to make my VC's that complex because I like others like to have a wing out there. I personally haven't found a size limitation within Gmax yet that would prohibit the addition of wing views. But again, big .mdl files...big slide shows...Rick Sasala

If you love Meljets views, you'll also love POSKY's. I actually found the POSKY views a bit more accurate vs. some of the shots I've seen in real life and my own 747-x flights. But I find Meljet's model a bit more fps friendly in external views. I have both in my library.I also employ a device so I can land and park the larger jets. I have two aircraft.cfgs--one edited for the wing view, and the other for normal views. This is especially important for realism in the 747, due to the height of the cockpit above the runway. As I cross the 10,000 foot alt. threshold, I usually will switch between the cfgs. I usually like taking the 747 up to the gate, and the only way to make this "real" is from the cockpit viewpoint.

Well, the attached is my answer...As as an FSDS designer of the Electra L-188, I went to great lengths to be able to show the wing/outboard engine from the cockpit..but was not smart enough to figure how to do it right from the passenger view too.This is indeed a "flight" simulator where we have the freedom to be a sim pilot, passenger, ground ramp grunt, chase camera operator, etc...to limit the possibilities with dogma about "no wing views" seems like rather ground-based thinking...Bill KBDL

I love wing-views. On a hard banking turn, for me theygive an unparalleled perspective, which adds a feelingof reality, which nothing else does.For most people, the only flying they experience, is the real-life wing-view on a heavy passenger jet. I wish theywere included in the advanced payware.Peter Sydney Australia

Guest Ron Freimuth

>What on earth can be wrong with people wanting to have a >view of the aircraft wing? Aside from the fact that as has >already been mentioned above, there are circumstances where >being able to see the wing is actually desirable>All the best, "Paul Golding" There is more than wings. I like to see a prop on a twin stop rotating and see the blades in feathered position. Ron

I am continually amazed at how strongly people feel about the way others choose to enjoy this simulator, and the extreme lengths they will go to in defense of their own opinions. Do you know the reason I enjoy wing views now and then? I'm not going to tell you. Do you know why I'm not going to tell you? Because I don't NEED a reason. And neither do you.Many, many of the ills in this world would go away if folks would just come to grips with the concept that it's ok for people to do things differently than someone else does them. Why so many people seem to feel it is their duty to set everyone else straight and teach them how to live is a mystery.This thread, and others like it, serve no real purpose that I can see. If someone enjoys wing views, power to them. Leave them alone and let them enjoy them. If other people don't like them, power to them. Leave them alone and let them not like them. I can't imagine why anyone would even care, much less "feel strongly about it". Simply amazing.Happy holidays to all! Live and let live.Dewey