Sign in to follow this  
blueridgeflyer

Changing Wind Direction & Velocity Question ASX

Greetings all,Thanks for ASX & X Graphics. It absolutely lives up to the marketing campaign & has me thoroughly enjoying the environment within FSX.Question: How are shear handled in upper level winds? Is there a section within the options interface that allows the user to specify a maximum rate of change in direction and velocity like the registered version of FSUIPC? Are the maximum and minimum wind shear sliders intended to address this issue? I only ask because the shear transitions within the SIM tend to be less dampened that with FS9/ASV6.5/FSUIPC. Thanks,Ryan

Ryan Kelly

I'm interested also, I've gotten some descent wind shifts tonight. Nothing that is to disturbing but much more prevelant than ASV6.5.

>Hi,>>Please see this post:>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=33010&page=>>There may be a missing DownloadStations.dat file causing>certain erratic wx station behavior. This may help if this is>the case.>>Best,>Thank you. I went ahead and placed the file in the correct location. However on my last flight from KSFO to PANC & was getting abrupt wind reversals at altitude which caused several overspeed conditions. Is there a more finite way in which to refine shear within either simconnect or ASX? The UI within FSUIPC did this really well. Thanks,Ryan

Ryan Kelly

Hi Ryan,As far as I am aware, FSUIPC does not implement wind smoothing within FSX. Which FSUIPC ui/options do you refer to?I can confirm that wind shear is being set properly by ASX (to gradual or zero) when slider set down (and even in most circumstances when set higher).Strange thing is that we have received numerous reports that ASX wind "smoothness" is much better than with ASv6.5. So this result is quite different.There ARE some known areas within FS that are problematic, I wonder if the results are based on flights inside/outside of these areas. KSFO for example is a known problem point for FS interpolation.In any case, we are looking at this in detail.One last thing, please make sure you have set your station database properly after updating that .dat file by closing fsx/asx and then starting asx, waiting until init completes, then starting FSX.Thanks!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

>Hi Ryan,>>As far as I am aware, FSUIPC does not implement wind smoothing>within FSX. Which FSUIPC ui/options do you refer to?>>I can confirm that wind shear is being set properly by ASX (to>gradual or zero) when slider set down (and even in most>circumstances when set higher).>>Strange thing is that we have received numerous reports that>ASX wind "smoothness" is much better than with ASv6.5. So>this result is quite different.>>There ARE some known areas within FS that are problematic, I>wonder if the results are based on flights inside/outside of>these areas. KSFO for example is a known problem point for FS>interpolation.>>In any case, we are looking at this in detail.>>One last thing, please make sure you have set your station>database properly after updating that .dat file by closing>fsx/asx and then starting asx, waiting until init completes,>then starting FSX.>>Thanks!>>Thanks for the response Damian. There was a "wind" tab within FSUIPC 3 that allowed the user to specify maximum rate of shear in either knots/sec or degree/sec. I see the slider setup in the options tab of ASX and presume that I would want both Min and Max shear tabs to the left. This begs the question why one would want to move the sliders to the right? Even with this particular setup I get instantaneous changes in wind direction at altitude (on rare occasion). If the user were provided a precise way of dampening the shear (like knots/sec or degree/sec) then it might help. I really like ASX and just became accustomed to the way winds were properly handled from within FS9/AS6.5.Unrelated side note: Operating in the mid to upper flight levels I am seeing high base cumuliform clouds. Perhaps I may have missed something in the setup or options section, but is there a way to replace these types with alto-stratus type clouds. I do get cirruform at the highest altitudes however. It

Ryan Kelly