Sign in to follow this  
Guest MB327

ASX Winds Aloft not matching Report Page

Guest MB327

ASX build 1106All default settingsUsing Squawkbox 4 beta with all weather functions disabledFlying on VATSIMFSX set to user defined weatherWeather display settings similar to that depicted on the ASX help pagesActual winds in FSX never match what ASX report winds are. This is on the ground but most particularly for winds aloft. The speed is always less in FSX and the direction is generally off by about +45 degrees. I have toggled everything I can think of and scanned this forum but can't find what is causing this. As it is, ASX is unflyable with companions who are flying FS9 and using AS6.5. Even though ASX weather is telling my I should be getting same winds aloft as they are, I'm not.I thought that FSUIPC might be causing this so tonight I completely removed it and same problem.Ideas welcome.

Guest abulaafia

I have the same experience, although I am not much bothered by it since I don't fly online. Every since that latest SP2, ASX has lost all accuracy, with or without "Wind Smoothing" enabled. And there are still violent wind shits with smoothing enabled, so ... ??? Dead end it seems.

Hi,I am not flying online, but I use ASX wind and temperature reports (navlog) as basis for my fuel calculation - and in the days of high fuel prices ( thanks god not in FS . . . ) I usually fly with minimum fuel. Therefor I am dependant on most accurate wind forecasts.Yesterday I flew KJFK-EDDM with the 200830Z ASX WX report - till 4940N the winds were more or less accurate, but from 50N030W to LIMRI the forecast called for wind at 230/20 - ACTUAL winds were 265/130 and 270/130 (!!) - I was on the favourable side and the winds gave me a real push of nearly 20 mins - on the other hand, westbound it would put me into a fuel shortage.After the flight I checked the ASX WX again at 1625Z and the navlog still showed between 50N030W and LIMRI a wind at 222/36 . . .Enhanced route coverage was ON - wind smoothening was OFF and other than at descend into MUC there were NO wind shifts of any major significance.Sometimes I have the impression that ASX uses two different sources for the navlog and the feed into FSX during flight - I checked ( on other flights - NOT yesterdays ) ASX and hit the button for REFRESH WX and update the flight plan - the winds there and in FSX were completely different !!Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman Fosterhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Hi all,Unfortunately FSX's wind interpolation issues cause directional problems. Well documented. See this forum for dozens of related threads.As to wind smoothing causing directional issues, this is a known problem due to locking winds based on the first "lookup" location within 60 degrees. Again there are several threads about this. SP3 is in final beta stages now and should be released soon which solves this and enhances control of wind directions much more. However, as mentioned, there are FSX interpolation and depiction issues that are beyond our control and nothing we do can change that. We can only continue and try to improve things as much as possible.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest abulaafia

I don't claim to understand this technically, but I am seeing no abrupt wind shift issues with Weather Maker, and as of late I am using that instead of ASX because I can't have my planes fall from the sky now can I.