Sign in to follow this  
MeatWater

BT and Sperry Mk. III Autopilot

As many B-25 a/c were equipped with one I tried to add Arne's Sperry gauge to the panel, However whatever method I use I always end up with a messed up panel and a nicely working Sperry. Can it be done?Looking at the panel I wonder where they had it stuffed? I know that I can activate the AP with CTRL+T, but I'd still prefer the real thing as I'm taking the bird on loooong hops...cheers-------------------MeatWaterProfessional Audio 4 Entertainmentwww.meatwater.com

I have never seen an actual photo of the Sperry installation in the B-25. The Pilot Training Manual on the CD has this illustration...http://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/ap1.jpgNot too helpful. :-( None of the other vintage B-25 manuals even mention an autopilot. The diagrams in the manuals show no room for the Sperry, either...http://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/panels.jpgSo, perhaps someone else can help us out as to what the installation actually looked like. 'Briefing Time', and many other B-25's had no auto pilot installed.If I was going to give you a fictitious Sperry, I would have put it on a pop-up, like the radio stack, that you could have pulled up when needed. Any other option would have destroyed the authenticity of 'BT's panel. But we are done with fictitious auto-pilots. The modern one in the R4D is going to the chopping block, too, in the new Gmax edition, leaving only the Sperry that Arne Bartels and some forgotten graphics guy produced. :( Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, and Younghttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

How did you add the AP? I found out that CFGEdit messes up the panel and it won't work after adding any other gauges or toggles. I did successfully add the Bill Morad ATC toggles and ATC gauge to the panel by editing the panel.cfg in Wordpad. You can use the view feature of CFGEdit to get the x,y coordinates that you want the gauge to be placed at but DON'T save the panel. Get out of CFGEdit and use Wordpad to add the gauge. There is a line that says something like maam!gaugechecker or something like that that is remmed out in the panel.cfg. CFGEdit deletes this and I think it has something to do with the fact that MAAM does not want the panels edited. Maybe someone else, or Bill Rambow, can shed some light on this. Hope this helps you. Regards, Bob.

Sorry to put a damper on the intrigue, but the gauge checker is just that, a tool Fred used during the programming to check whatever gauge programmers check about gauges. :-) It has absolutely nothing to do with any desire to prevent people from altering the panel or the panel cfg for their own use. As the panel designer, I think the very idea is tantamount to sacrilege!!! ...or at the very least merits... :-hang ;-) Seriously, we are not paranoid about people changing things, and there are no hidden, secret codes to hinder experimentation. As long as you do not distribute your Frankenstein panel ;-), you may do anything to it you wish. Have fun.Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, and Younghttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Hi Bill. Thanks for the GREAT info. I did try CFGEdit and it really messed up the panels. I looked at the panel that CFGEdit created and noted that the checker item was missing so I mistook it as some sort of anti-piracy thingy. Please don't feel that I was complaining. I always try to change the panels for my own use. Bill Morads excellent ATC gauge (God rest his soul) is on all my panels. This plane is a real beauty. Thanks, buddy, regards, Bob.

No problem, Bob. I started my panel development career by modifying other guy's panels - always with prior permission - for the use of Noble Air, the VA where I was the Ops Chief at LHR. Have at it. Just keep in mind; you are messing with perfection! ;-) :-lolBill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, and Younghttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Hi Bill. Thanks. You are right I am messing with perfection! The BT is the best that exists! I made the mods only for my own use. I like the option of the ATC panel and some more toggle switches. I hate the keyboard! Best regards, Bob.

If anyone is looking for a picture of a B-25 Panel with a Sperry Autopilot, the Squadron Signal book B-25 Mitchell In Action has a picture take through the pilot's roof hatch. The Sperry Auto Pilot is located in the center of the Panel between the Pilot and Co-Pilot. I could scan a picture with my digital camera if someone wishes to see it.

Sure, that would be great!-------------------MeatWaterProfessional Audio 4 Entertainmentwww.meatwater.com

Here are some pictures from the B25 Mitchell In Action book by Signal/Squadron Publications.