Sign in to follow this  
PaulVR

R4D Interactive VC?

Judging by the past work and the reputation of the designers and by the screenshots I've seen, I know the R4D will be a 5 star product. But I'm wondering if it will include the latest FS2004 development techniques, in particular a fully interactive virtual cockpit. Since PMDG's 737-800 NG and Milton Shupe's Aerocommander I've grown addicted to operating an aircraft from the VC without having to resort to pop up panels. I find it very immersive. So, how interactive will the VC be? If it is, i will not hesitate to give it a 6 star rating.Paul

Guest Thumb

Paul,Although there will be clickable stuff in the VC like the Sperry and various gauge adjustable knobs it won't be a fully functional VC with the initial release. There's a bug in GMax which prevents models original designed in feet to be converted to meters and scaled down without having to deal with countless 'scale matrix errors'. As all the new animation stuff is only available thru the new MakeMdl compiler ( converts GMax source files into actual FS models ) and this thingy will only work with models designed in meters ( our DC-3 models are originally designed in feet ) you see the huge problem we have to deal with here. If my stamina will allow it you might see a fully functional VC in the near future thru a free upgrade.Milton designed his wonderful Aerocommander in meters, the lucky devil.. :-badteethBtw, who needs clickable control levers while the new CH Quadrant is up for grabs now. ( not affiliated with this company what so ever, just can't wait to stick it next to my Yoke.. :+ )Jan

Thanks Jan for an in-depth answer. There will be more than enough 'immersive feeling' left even with the pop up panels, and I'm sure it will be one of my favourite aircraft.Nevertheless, let me wish you a lot of stamina in the future! Paul

Guest colmoore

Jan,Just a thought but would it not be better to have the bug in gMax fixed to save you a lot of time!!!!CheersCol Moore

Guest HerbieG

Why no FS9 VC rain effect?

Guest Thumb

>Just a thought but would it not be better to have the bug in>gMax fixed to save you a lot of time!!!!You bet! :-hah But it's not like one can 'have a bug fixed' just like that,Col. All we can do is complain about it in the GMax forum (and God knows we did ! ) and keep our fingers crossed. In the mean time i'll be designing my models in meters from now on.Jan

Guest Thumb

>Why no FS9 VC rain effect?This can also be done only when using the new MakeMdl compiler. (see my post above )Jan

Guest Milton

Well Jan, I hope it has four round engines. ;-)Milton

Guest Thumb

Nah,Milton,decided not to do the 747 afterall,sorry.. :(

Guest Dominique

Hi JanCould you please specify what is clickable in the VC and what is not ? Popus are good, clickable VC is far better ;-)

Nothing is clickable in the virtual cockpit. I guess this is an old thread :).But I would be glad to hear if there is any plans in updating the VC or if those are scrapped?

Just ran across this old thread and thought I would take the opportunty to set the record straight on the click-ability of the MAAM-SIM R4D VC. Simply put, all the control functions present in the gauges on the main panel in the 2D cockpit also work in the VC. Dragging type contols, such as the throttle, props, and mixture levers do not. That means that the following controls are mouse controllable in the VC:Sperry AP (all controls)Altimeter adjustment knobFlaps (click on flap position indicator)ClocksAttitude Indicators (both caging knob and horizon adjustment)ADFVOR 1 and 2DMEs (pilot and copilot)Directional GyrosFuel Gauge tank switchThat is, admittedly, not everything. But it's a whole lot more than nothing! Incidentally, our just-announced TBM Avenger will have a fully-functional VC because it is being designed from the start in metric measure.Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo2.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest Dominique

well, as they say all come in due time for those who can wait ;). That seems good enough. You can't start her up from the VC though ?Thanks Bill, in the meantime, I flew my beloved BT...unclesam6bs.jpgBTW will the Avenger have the awesome RA SPit' VC technology ?

You'll be happy to hear there is progress in the interactive VC arena that may lead to an eventual patch for BT and the Douglas that will allow a more fully clickable VC. No promises yet, but we have a new developer working with Jan on this and there have been some VERY encouraging results.:-jumpyAs for the Avenger, we share our maestro of the flight dynamics with RealAir, (or RealAir does with us) but there is no cross-over of technology and info between the teams. However, we will have a fully interactive, smoothly operating VC with everything you could want. But we will still offer the 2D option in the Turkey. I'm not faulting the RA Spit - it's a masterpiece and one of my own favorite planes to fly in FS. But as the panel designer, maybe I am just not ready to give up my beloved 2D panels. So we'll still give you both until someone holds a "Ma Deuce" on me and forces me to foreswear flat panels forever! ;-)Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo2.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org