Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

FS2004: Compilation of Popular Tweaks

Guest B52Drivr

Bob,After fooling around with a new computer and wondering why fs ran so poorly when it was a new, top of the line unit, your post saved the day . . . it works great!!!doubled my fps and now, my system is running like a P4 3.2 shoule.BestClay

Hi All,So, you've downloaded a "new" set of drivers for your Radeon card! With the release of new/updated/"hacked" drivers will come issues associated with installing said new drivers. Don't let a botched install ruin your simming action :-)If there's one thing I can suggest is to follow the procedures outlined in the following thread on un-installing and installing ATI Drivers:Radeon Uninstall/install GuideI have this post printed and inserted in a binder for safe keeping!! Good luck on the install!!!Mikehttp://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/boeingsig.jpg

After trying all those options from "sparse" to "extremely dense", PanelasTexture=0 or =1 and "fs9.cfg-tweaks" i came to the fact, that if you disable the shadows (aircraft and scenery) the result is up 20% but causes the scene to look unfamiliar if your

>Folks;>>For those of you running MS Flight Sim on Win XP and an>Intel Hyperthreading CPU, here's a truly amazing performance>booster:>>After starting FS, go into task manager (CTRL_ALT_DEL)>>Select Processes tab>>Right click on FS9.exe, select "Set Affinity">>Disable one of the two check boxes so that FS9 only runs on>one virtual CPU (I use CPU 0).>>Do the same on any other running utilities (i.e. FDC, RC) and>select the other virtual processor.>>I see better than a doubling in frame rates. This, of course,>assumes that hyperthreading is supported and enabled on your>motherboard and BIOS settings.>>An even better (permanent) way of constraining FS9 to run on a>single virtual CPU on an HT CPU is using the Microsoft>IMAGECFG utility (an older NT/2000 utility that works fine in>XP -- do a google search). Command syntax (in a Command>window):>>IMAGECFG -a 0x1 fs9.exe>>This writes a processor affinity mask into the executable. 0x1>specifies virtual CPU 0, 0x2 specifies vCPU 1, and 0x3 uses>both 0 & 1 (default). FS will always run on the specified>virtual CPU(s) from that point on.>>I have done the same to the other utilities I run on the>machine while FS is running, only restricting them to the>opposite vCPU.>>Thanks to Sean McLeod for pointing out this setting to me.>>Regards>>Bob Scott>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300>Washington, D.C>> >I would like to add a question: In my screenshot you see that I did wat BOB sayt in this post. "For those of you running MS Flight Sim on Win XP and an>Intel Hyperthreading CPU, here's a truly amazing performance>booster:[/b]>>After starting FS, go into task manager (CTRL_ALT_DEL)>>Select Processes tab>>Right click on FS9.exe, select "Set Affinity">>Disable one of the two check boxes so that FS9 only runs on>one virtual CPU (I use CPU 0).>>Do the same on any other running utilities (i.e. FDC, RC) and>select the other virtual processor.>>I see better than a doubling in frame rates. This, of course,>assumes that hyperthreading is supported and enabled on your>motherboard and BIOS settings"But I don't have hyperthreading but I can give my CPU a command to get more priority over FS9.But When I select Higher Priority then normal, it says that the system could be instabel. So, my question is: Should I do that or not????Thanks,http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/98989.jpg

>Folks;>>For those of you running MS Flight Sim on Win XP and an>Intel Hyperthreading CPU, here's a truly amazing performance>booster:>>After starting FS, go into task manager (CTRL_ALT_DEL)>>Select Processes tab>>Right click on FS9.exe, select "Set Affinity">>Disable one of the two check boxes so that FS9 only runs on>one virtual CPU (I use CPU 0).>>Do the same on any other running utilities (i.e. FDC, RC) and>select the other virtual processor.>>I see better than a doubling in frame rates. This, of course,>assumes that hyperthreading is supported and enabled on your>motherboard and BIOS settings.>>An even better (permanent) way of constraining FS9 to run on a>single virtual CPU on an HT CPU is using the Microsoft>IMAGECFG utility (an older NT/2000 utility that works fine in>XP -- do a google search). Command syntax (in a Command>window):>>IMAGECFG -a 0x1 fs9.exe>>This writes a processor affinity mask into the executable. 0x1>specifies virtual CPU 0, 0x2 specifies vCPU 1, and 0x3 uses>both 0 & 1 (default). FS will always run on the specified>virtual CPU(s) from that point on.>>I have done the same to the other utilities I run on the>machine while FS is running, only restricting them to the>opposite vCPU.>>Thanks to Sean McLeod for pointing out this setting to me.>>Regards>>Bob Scott>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300>Washington, D.C>> >I would like to add a question: In my screenshot you see that I did wat BOB sayt in this post. "For those of you running MS Flight Sim on Win XP and an>Intel Hyperthreading CPU, here's a truly amazing performance>booster:[/b]>>After starting FS, go into task manager (CTRL_ALT_DEL)>>Select Processes tab>>Right click on FS9.exe, select "Set Affinity">>Disable one of the two check boxes so that FS9 only runs on>one virtual CPU (I use CPU 0).>>Do the same on any other running utilities (i.e. FDC, RC) and>select the other virtual processor.>>I see better than a doubling in frame rates. This, of course,>assumes that hyperthreading is supported and enabled on your>motherboard and BIOS settings"But I don't have hyperthreading but I can give my CPU a command to get more priority over FS9.But When I select Higher Priority then normal, it says that the system could be instabel. So, my question is: Should I do that or not????Thanks,http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/98989.jpg

Guest Papa November

>TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=5.500000Use with EXTREME care. Setting up values higher than 4.500000 may cause CTD when cycling views.Piotr

Guest evert

This is a message for Bob Smith:I own another type of processor. AMD Athlon 3000+ 2000mhzI use 512 MB mem.512 cache.What can I do to improve performance? And please explain to me in understandable English :-)I would appreciate your help!Reagrds,EvertJan van de Velde

Guest Ken_Salter

The FSCOF/2004/9 FAQ Post!Fellow Captains, it looks like it is time to start compiling a list of common questions/answers for FSCOF/FS2004/FS9. Please post only additions to this list, NO QUESTIONS! Please post questions or comments about this thread in another thread. I want to keep this one limited only to Questions with Answers. Thanks!The following information has been compiled from various posts. Special thanks to Chris Willis.You can get quite a bit of information by reading the readme.rtf located in the root folder.Q) Where is the configuration file now located?A) It will be located in your personal Application Data folder. On Windows 2000/XP systems, this is located in Documents and SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftFS9FS9.cfg (for Windows 9x users the path is WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftFS9fs9.cfg). The Application Data folder is hidden, so you will need to enable viewing of hidden files/folders under the Folder Options in your Explorer.SHAMELESS PLUG: You can get my FS9 Configurator to help view/edit this file and much more! http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...util&DLID=36310Q) How can I turn off the Flying Tips?A) This option is located under the Realism settings on the primary Settings screen. Open the Realism window. It is a check box in the upper right.Q) How can I improve the look of the ground textures?A) Open your fs9.cfg file, and modify the following lines:TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.50000Q) Where are my saved flights stored?A) For Windows XP users: Documents and SettingsMy DocumentsFlight Simulator Files For Windows 9x users: My DocumentsFlight Simulator Files Note: if there are several users on a Win9x machine there might be several subfolders in the folder path aboveQ) How can I get good looking clouds and reduce the 2d clouds imposters?A) Use Ms ultra high default setup +-Set your clouds draw distant to 40 mil, clouds % percentage to 90/100%, or with the lower slider at the bottom clouds density to MAX.-Higher system, clouds draw distant more than to 40 mil, clouds percentage to 90/100%, clouds density to MAX.Q) How can I change runway light settings?A) To get your runways configs light size add these line under fs9.cfg display: RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales edge, center,end,touchdown,runways RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0 // scales VASI lights)RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0 // scales approach light bars RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales RAILs and ODALs)More the value is lower, more the light will decrease in size, 0.5, 0.005 etc.

*delete*me*

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

*delete*me*
This is another that's "2003".

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.