Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

FS X terrain fix

FS X terrain is defined in the terrain.cfg file that can be found in the FS X root directory.While testing FS X, Dick Ludowise (rhumbaflappy) and I made various modifications to the file.For most users, the principal modification concerns the display of water.Responding to complaints from users, the FS X team eliminated the sloping water that displayed in previous versions - now, when water encounters a slope, a rock texture is displayed.Unfortunately, this has an unwelcome side benefit in that many rivers now display rocky patches in them, for example, the Thames in London:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/160725.jpgWe have modified the terrain.cfg file so as to eliminate these patches of rock in all the water bodies throughout the world:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/160726.jpgIn addition, our modified terrain.cfg file will provide many benefits for FS X scenery and scenery designers.Please download the file from the Avsim library and install it. It can be gotten here:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...rado&CatID=rootBest regards.Luis

Guest saudi_777

Thanks a lot Luis!! :)Regards,

Guest archtx

Thank you, Luis.I just downloaded it and noticed that 1662 other people had done so previously. Obviously a much need improvement!

Guest Michaelvg1

I am new to FSX. How do you install the codes. Does it do it itself or do I have to go into some config file and place it in there?Are these imporvements MS approved?Also, I just purchased the software a couple weeks ago. Is there a list of improvements that will help me get started that I should install or update?Thanks

Hi Michael,If I were you, I would hold off for a bit. SP1 isn't too far off and, by all accounts, it seems likely that you will achieve a successful install of the update if you haven't modified any files.Just play with the settings in-sim meantime and accept that performance in some situations will likely be poor. It may well turn out that those of us who have been feverishly applying mods to the sim over the past few months will be faced with having to start over just to apply SP1. I have spent some time reverting back to as near stock as I can to make the process of updating more straightforward and, hopefully, trouble-free. I still have a few tweaks applied, but I have them recorded so, fingers crossed, they shouldn't be a problem.It shouldn't be too long now, be patient and you may find you are congratulating yourself.Mike

Guest Michaelvg1

Thanks... I am going to. I got it to perform pretty well just by making tweaks the the Video Card and FSX graphics settings. It's pretty good. Will stay away from GFG changes and wait.

Guest Sascha Henken

Question about this:Is this fix still needed post release of SP1? Just curious. Thank you :)

Hello, I have installed the fix and no negative results.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

After installing SP2, I noticed that the terrain cfg file was now much newer--11.19.07. This is an older file. Will this fix eliminate SP2 terrain benefits?

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

The various FS patches re-install the initial configuration files that are the same as released in October 2006, in spite of the date stamp.It is, therefore, not a newer terrain.cfg file, but rather much older, the original file.Best regards.Luis