Sign in to follow this  
RobdeVries

XP memory performance tweaks...?

Hello,Here are a few memory performance tweaks:http://www.windowsxpatoz.com/cgi-bin/perfo...0&id=1036282433These Settings will fine tune your systems memory management - at least 256MB of ram recommended:Go to startrunregedit - and then to the following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory Management 1. DisablePagingExecutive- double click it and in the decimal put a 1 - this allows XP to keep data in memory now instead of paging sections of ram to harddrive yields faster performance. 2. LargeSystemCache- double click it and change the decimal to 1 - this allows XP Kernel to Run in memory improves system performance alot 3. create a new dword and name it IOPageLockLimit - double click it and set the value in hex - 4000 if you have 128MB of ram or set it to 10000 if you have 256MB or set it to 40000 if you have more than 512MB of ram - this tweak will speed up your diskcache Swap File Tweakhttp://www.windowsxpatoz.com/cgi-bin/perfo...0&id=1036282433For Users with 256 MB RAM or more this tweak will boost their Windows- and Game-Performance. What it does: It tells Windows not to use any Swap File until there is really no more free RAM left. Open the System Configuration Utility by typing msconfig.exe in the RUN command. There in your System.ini you have to add "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" under the 386enh section. Restart your Windows and enjoy better Game performanceConservativeSwapfileUsage=1and...http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/sgp-tweaks.ars/2Do they have effect....?Use at your own risk..back up your registery.... !!Best! :+

RobdeVries.jpg

Guest kilo_sierra17

If you have 1GB or more of RAM, you can disable Page File completly, most games dont even use close to that much, at one time Half Life 2 was using around 900MB, but that was after playing for a long time, I have never seen FS use more then 600MB.

Guest baksteen33

Hate to be a party pooper, but I must STRONGLY WARN about using 'Memory Management' tweak number 2, 'LargeSystemCache'. Only use this option if you can afford to loose your data... This enlarges -as the description suggests- the system cache. However, under certain circumstances -i.e. large NTFS partitions or activated FastWrites- and thus conditions frequently found on modern computers, it can corrupt data beyond repair and necessitate a new OS install. Hope this helps, good luck and kind regards Jaap

I second that warning re Large System Cache. It's documented in ATI's knowledge base even. Most likely it won't cause any problems BUT if it does you'll loose your data beyond repair. So if you absolutely MUST try this tweak, back up anything you can't afford to loose first.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Kurt,I don't know what you use to fly around in but with FS9, Activesky 4.5 and PMDG, you will use more than 600MB...much more.

Eric 

Kurt, your post interested me as I asked a question recently on memory using FS9.... I have yet to fully understand what's happening.I run task manager after FS9 has been running a little while. I've got a pretty reasonable system (AMD 2700+. 1 gig ram. nVidia 6800 graphics card) The CPU graph in the task manager often is shown topped out flat - which I assumed was the set up running out of RAM.(I have large paging files on both my HDD - one HDD only used for FS9) My querey was - "Do I need more RAM"Regards Blue

Guest kilo_sierra17

With the CPU graph running at full doesnt mean your out of RAM, it means the CPU is running at 100% which is good, the PF Usage graph, shows you how much RAM and PF if you have it on is being used.I do not fly with active sky, just the default FS clouds. I run 100% Project AI, flying at simflyers LAX and using the POSKY A340, I don't use more then 600MB of RAM, maybe 650, but still far away from 1GB.

Has anyone used the swap file tweak? How is it working for you?

Eric 

Guest SoarPics

"If you have 1GB or more of RAM, you can disable Page File completly..."WinXP will not run without a Page File. The NT Kernel requires a PF.Regarding the Swap File tweak, it does no harm to try it as long as there is enough RAM (with MSFS 1GB is a safe quantity) on board. Whether or not it helps is system dependent.Greg

Many thanks to those of you who have replied to my question in part of this intersting topic.When determining exactly HOW much RAM is being used by FS9 when it is running, I assume one uses the Task manager.... I'm still learning when it comes to computers so would someone kindly tell me, which part of it should I be reading please? Regards, Blue.

"Regarding the Swap File tweak, it does no harm to try it as long as there is enough RAM (with MSFS 1GB is a safe quantity) on board. Whether or not it helps is system dependent."......just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the swap file tweak and observed the results? I have and to be honest see no difference in the way XP uses the pagefile.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/105450.jpgI entered the tweak, as above, rebooted, started IE with the intention of posting this response and opened Task Manager. Pagefile usage was sitting at around 282MB. I then started FS9 and loaded my default flight situation and watched the pagefile usage climb to 503MB with the available physical memory settling to around 402000K.Mike P4 2.4GHz (400FSB), 1Gig PC2100 DDR Crucial, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (Omega 2.5.97), SB Audigy (5.12.0001.0443), Hyundai ImageQuest Q17 17" TFT LCD 20ms Monitor (1280x1024x32), Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBo, Ultra-Quiet PSU 400W, WinXP Home (SP2), DirectX 9.0c, AGP Aperture = 128MB

Guest kilo_sierra17

>"If you have 1GB or more of RAM, you can disable Page File>completly...">>WinXP will not run without a Page File. The NT Kernel>requires a PF.>>Regarding the Swap File tweak, it does no harm to try it as>long as there is enough RAM (with MSFS 1GB is a safe quantity)>on board. Whether or not it helps is system dependent.>>GregYou say it requires one, ok, but how do you explain this?. Photoshop sees no page file and warns me about it, but I just click launch anyway and it works fine.http://members.shaw.ca/kstangrecki/nopagefile.jpghttp://members.shaw.ca/kstangrecki/nopagefile2.jpg

Guest baksteen33

Hi Mike, isn't the 'ConservativeSwap...' a win9x/ME tweak? Specially since NT OSs have a pagefile? AFAI can remember, mentions under Win/System.ini are for 16-bit applications and they're mainly there for multiboot environments. Besides, there's also the tweak to 'clean boot', thus disable/untick the win.ini etc. entries via the 'msconfig'. Therefore, my guess is, it will do nada for NT OSs. Nevertheless, I could be terribly mistaken..? Good luck and kind regards Jaap

Hi Jaap,"isn't the 'ConservativeSwap...' a win9x/ME tweak?"....certainly, like you, I do remember this from the days of 98/ME but the link given by the original poster appears to imply that this can be used with XP as well. I have always assumed that "swapfile" = "pagefile/paging file" and we are merely dealing with semantics with the use of these descriptions since each refers to an area of virtual memory created by the o/s for use as and when it is needed.Anyway, I remain doubtful unless, of course, there is someone amongst us who can allay our concerns by providing the definitive explanation. Whatever else the tweak may or may not do it doesn't seem to do any harm.Regards,Mike