Sign in to follow this  
xdashdriver

New System Config Questions

Hi All,After several years of buying off-the-shelf systems, I have decided to revert to building my own system. I have come up with the following, but wanted some input on a couple of things.Asus A8N32-SLI DeluxeAthlon 64 4000+ (San Diego 2.4k)2x1GB Corsair XMS 3500LL ProXFX Nvidia 7800 GTX SLI 512MBAudigy 4 ProWD Caviar SE 16 250GB (7200 RPM / 3.0Gb/s)Dell 2005FPW 20.1" LCD Flat PanelHere are my questions:The 256MB version of the 7800 GTX is 2/3 the price of the 512MB verson, and I am wondering if there'll be significant performance difference in FS9? Should I just take the 256MB and save the $$$?I know FS9 is CPU intensive, so there is the option of the FX-57, but again, wondering if there will be that much performance gain over the 4000+ (for 3.5 times the price)?As far as add-on stuff goes, I have a full suite of PSS aircraft (always used) and the UK2000 scenery (rarely used), but that's it.FS9 will probably be the most demanding use of my computer.Thanks in advance for any insights,Ray

7800- If you can afford it I would get the 512 just for the simple fact that it will be a little more future proof.FX-57- The only reason to get an FX-57 is if you plan to OC, even then it is still going to be a waste unless you plan on using high multipliers. The only key thing to the FX series is that it has unlocked multipliers and the chips are normally a little better for OC. If you are getting a 2400mhz CPU you will be just fine. Edit: WD Caviar SE 16 250GB (7200 RPM / 3.0Gb/s)- Make sure that your Mobo supports the 3gb/s SATA because most do not yet. The good thing about the WD is that i bieleive it is backwards compatable to SATA 150 so you should still be alright but simply not at it's highest output.

________________________________________________________________________________

i9 10800K | 16GB RAM | RTX 3080 | Windows 10 | 

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO

Hi Jeremy,Thanks for the input. The Asus A8N32-SLI does support 3.0Gb/s. I think I'll just go with the 4000+, and keep the 7800GTX SLI on there as well.Ray

Also, id reccomend even getting an ATI card. Wouldnt be as much, but ATI pulls ahead from NVidia in FS. Especially with clouds. Ive had an nvidia, and out of the 2, id reccomend ATI. Really is a strong card. IMHO, if you set your sliders the same way on eathier kind of card, the performance will be so good, you wouldnt care, and then you would of saved the money. And also, id stick with the 4000. It'll run cooler than the FX series, and thats still plenty of power, so i dont see a big need to OC, and drop that with your killer card, and between multiple HDD's, your looking at some warm temps. Id even reccomend a nice water cooling kit. If your getting SLI, id re-think it. I personally dont think it would be worth it. Ive heard some cases where FS is compatible for SLI yet. ;) Eathier way, you have a killer rig set up there.Really though, id reccomend an ATI such as the X850XT. I know its a little older, but its still a #### good work horse imho, and you'd be saving alot of money. That is if money is an issue. If your not worried about it, and wanna go all out so you'll be set for about 18-24 months without worrying about an upgrade, your set. :)Great rig you've got planned, but maybe the switch to ATI. :) Good luck with the system! :-wave

Very nice system you're looking at getting. :)I too gave this some thought, and I ended up buying a 256mb version. I don't think the 512mb version provides enough of a performance boost to warrant the money. Maybe down the line it'll be cheaper to 'upgrade' to.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers