Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Should Vid card drivers be updated for Fs2004?

I know that it seems to be common consensus that Vid card drivers should always be updated as new ones are issued by the manufacturers like Nvidia and ATI. But my question is, is this really a good idea and why?For example, let's say that today I build a new computer, install the drivers that come with the Vid card and FS2004 runs fine.Next week another set of drivers comes out - they have obviously been created for a reason - maybe something to do with a newer version of the vid card or even for a brand new type of card. Maybe they were issued to fix some problems in other games that I don't even use. So - why install them ?? Some people report wildly ambitious FPS increases with newer drivers while others report problems.Your comments please?Barry

Some people find a version they like and stick with them for a long time. Others update their drivers every chance they get. Still others fall in the middle. Personally, I've never seen much impact from any of the different driver versions I've used in fs2004. Some people say that they get noticable better frames from version x over version y. There still can be differences though. I tried the latest official ATI drivers for my x800 XL card. I got a lot of shimmering of various objects in fs2004 (worse than normal). I switched to the latest Omega drivers, and the problem went right away. As you said, most updates are for new game bug fixes and updates for brand new cards. I always update to the latest versions at my earliest convenience. If something does go wrong, the drivers are easy enough to uninstall. On the ATI side, they have a free utility which will clean all old ATI drivers off your system so you can reisntall whatever version works best for you. I'm sure there is something similar on the Nvidia side.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Reason to keep updated is that you will get more performance or more image quality. Sometimes as you say an older driver can work better for you but it never hurts to try new drivers.You can read the readmes on each update to check if it

I've been using the same 30.xx set of drivers for my GEF 4200 since I purchased it. I can run the sim from morning 'til midnight with no lockups. That may be true for newer drivers, and I suppose newer drivers may offer some level of improvement in performance, and perhaps not. I've had to service so many workstations and servers in my professional life that I take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality home as well. It's served me well.-John

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it".....yes, John, perhaps I should be taking a leaf out of your book. Trouble is, sometimes I find the urge to experiment hard to resist :(I rationalize my actions by making sure I have a fallback position before taking the plunge. Backup, backup, backup!!Regards,Mike

What about "try it if it works better great otherwise just revert to the old" approach. Have worked great for me. Though only once every decade I have to revert to old drivers. Mostly because I don