Sign in to follow this  
Guest owens

Upgrading RAM helped.

Guest owens

Hey everyone. Just registered here to say that i just upgraded from 2GB of RAM to 3.5 (I put 4gb in but only 3.5 is recognised) and this did wonders for my framerate. I am now able to play with all settings on high and the res at 1280x 1024 or whatever it is with a steady framerate of 20 most of the time.I still need to do some more testing with it, but I'm pretty sure it helped.the rest of my specs are:7800GT 256mb vid cardopteron 165 @ 2250mhzlotsa hard drivesCheers,Owen.

Welcome to Avsim Owen! Just one point of clarification - I assume you are referring to FSX? It is not always certain in this hardware forum.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest owens

Ah, sorry. Yes I have FSX deluxe version and going to 3.5 GB of RAM really helped. After posting I found another thread with the same message in it, I think in the main fsx forum.

Hm now this is interesting for sure. Obviously there is something with the WAY in which FSX is allocating memory that is...not straightforward.I'd be interested to hear from more people on this.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (91.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest owens

Yes it is. And as I mentioned in the other thread, I never saw my ram usage go above 500mb in task manager, and never noticed any swapping to the page file, I did however notice a big difference going to above 3GB.I also did a bios update, but I doubt that had much influence on the results I saw.

This is really strange, first my spec, which I purchased recently:CPU: Core2Duo E6600MB: Asus P5B DeluxeRAM: 2 Gb Kingston DDR2667GPU: Connect3d X1950XTX 512MbFSX Tweaks: default.xml deleted, AutogenDescriptions replaced, fiber_fraction, texture_band_mult and PoolSize.FPS: locked at 24, and values stays consistent at 24, EXCEPT big airports where I experience a drop to 15-20 FPS.Indeed RAM usage is low at aroung 500 - 800Mb so I see no obvious reason why adding RAM should help.To the original poster:DID you change all RAM with a different type (frequency / latency)? Or just added on top of what you previously had?DID you change channel configuration to dual channel?

Guest baksteen33

Hi everybody, aren't we confounding framerates with smoothness? Personally, I doubt more RAM has a great influence on the FPS themselves. Case somebody says >2GB increases FSX's smoothness, I'ld subscribe immediately. :-) FWIW and to share some impressions, I've got one box with 4GBs/XP64 and another with 2GB/winXpSP2. Something maybe some of you experienced as well? 15fps on 4GB (or 3 for that matter) doesn't feel like the 15fps on 2GB. Certes, 2GB is good, but the 4GB experience seems even smoother. HST, I should add the 4GB FlyTendo has a faster harddrive at the moment and I don't know whether this might have an influence as well? Specifically, a WD-150GB/10k vs a 250GB Hitachi; delta seektime = 2ms (8.0ms vs 10). The biggest difference in numbers between these 2 systems is visible in the OS' Task Manager. Under xp32/2GB, 'System Cache' rarely rises beyond 1.1-1.2GB. Under xp64/4GB, this value shoots up to well over 2.5GB*. I wouldn't have the slightest idea why! :-) Maybe somebody more knowledgeable does? I'ld be interested to learn what other people's 'System Cache' indicates in relation to their FlyTendo? Cheers and kind regards everybody Jaap * Upon the 2nd FSX boot - booting FS twice is one of my 'silly' routines. :-) PS, I've been using 2GB for well over 2 years now. Looking at it this way, the next logical step with FSX is more... :-) The burn-in with 4GBs took longer than a week! Crazy! :-)

Guest SoarPics

I also did a bios update, but I doubt that had much influence on the results I saw.The BIOS update could have had a profound influence on the results. Would be nice to see more testing on this (re: testing the system now with the memory config used before the BIOS update).Regards,Greg

IT wouldn't be too hard to test.Take the numbers with your current setup... then pull out the 2 Gig RAM and test again. MAnny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest baksteen33

>>Would be nice to see more testing on this (re: testing the system now with the memory config used before the BIOS update).<< Indeed, Greg. Kind regards Jaap

Guest owens

I did try that, the day after I posted this message but for some reason when I pulled out the two new sticks of RAM it wouldn't boot, otherwise I'd have the numbers for you.