Sign in to follow this  
Guest robains

FSX and 8800GTX 768MB DDR3 video card... :(

Guest robains

Well I went from 7 fps to 12 fps with this new video card in my system. So I guess the next gen DX10 video cards aren't enough either. I consider 30 fps minimum to be an acceptable frame rate. Odd since the fill rates and poly counts are well beyond what FSX tosses out at 1920 x 1200, so clearly FSX has got some other performance issues going on and I hope the dev team find the problem and resolve it ASAP.Some things that have helped get me to 12 fps1. AutoGen OFF 2. Blooming OFF3. Airport & vehicle traffic set to minimal 10% Again, these low frame rates happen at airports like SFO, Gatwick...

Guest CyberSimmer

The fix is called Vista:o

Guest Jimbofly

So you expect to realistically get 30fps with everything turned up to max except for Autogen and Blooming being off and Airport traffic being at 10%, but with everything else (scenery etc) being maxxed out in a dense area?You do realise that a vid card upgrade won't provide such a miracle. It will involve upgrading several other components as well. Oh, and a jump from 7 to 12 fps is pretty big just for a vid card upgrade imho.James

I agree with James. We'll also need a hot CPU as well as the G80 card. Best numbers I've seen so far is with an overclocked Kentsfield. Not that we need the quad core. It's just that they seem to have a higher overclocking threshold than even the Core 2 Duo chips.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

don't think this is the right forum ... should go in Hardware ...BUT something serious wrong with your setupI get 3x those frame rates (admittadly @ 1600x1200) - at those airports with autogen dense and scenery complexity dense !whats your CPU ?

Oh please. Has anyone learned yet? Vista does not increase game performance. Period. If you buy into the hype, you're going to be severely disappointed.

Guest mariosunshine

I really don't know what are you guys doing, but either your drivers or something else is out of line. I got a one year old amd proc 3800 and a 7800 gs oc / agp with 2 gigs. Yesterdays i set everything to medium high, with 39% traffic with traffic x, this gives you a fairly real amount of traffic, cars at 20 and the rest at 10%. the visuals were far better than fs 9, on the ground I got between 13 and 17 fps and in the air arround 25... scenery and autogen to normal. 12 fps seems very low, unless you are really trying to run everything with sliders to the full right.

Guest Valkyrie321

Indeed. I have "normal" autogen, 1m texture resolution, dense scenery complexity, 2x low water and a plethora of other mid to high settings and I get 17FPS over Seatac on an AMD 3500+ with 1 GB of RAM on a Radeon 1900XTX.Sure, my video card is smoking, but at the same time nothing else is really up to par... I am getting easily over 30+FPS over non-city terrain, depending on locale.

my settings - and then corresponding frame rates in FSX ... (VISTA) :)1600x1200, 4xAA, 8xAF, airline density = 35%settings.jpggatwick.jpg

Ok, so I think we are falling in a little trap regarding DX10 cards and Vista.FSX is still very much CPU limited. So you can have 100 8800GTX cards and still there will be little or no improvement.Vista alone also doesn't bring any improvement.While the 8800 card does indeed have much higher raw power it still doesn't get job to do from the CPU at it's maximum capability. Only when DX10 will arrive, only that will enable to switch some of the CPU load to the graphics card.This is a DX10 card but is running in DX9 mode, because DX10 is not installed on your machines, and most important FSX doesn't use DX10 code.So three things must happen in order to see some performance improvements in FSX, based on DX10:1. Hardware: Nvidia 8800 - already available - CHECKED2. OS Support: Vista + DX10 runtime - not yet available3. FSX patch for DX10: FSX must use DX10 code to take advantage of new capabilities - not yet available.Hope this helps,Cristi

>The fix is called VistaThe fix is called more CPU power... The 8800's are amazing, HardOCP was running other games at insane resolutions with everything cranked and getting 80+ FPS most of the time. FSX is mostly CPU limited, there's no other way around it.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest skruer

Well first - congratulations on your new card. It's a monster.Now I understand your frustration regarding not getting a significant boost in FPS. One think you gotta remember is that your new card is a DX10 card. It can easily handle DX9 games, but you'll not see a giant leap in fps. Once there is a DX10 patch for FSX I would almost put my head on the block and promise you a giant boost in FPS.You gotta remember it's a DX10 card for DX10 games. DX9 is now a thing of the past, so why ohhhh why should nvidia use the quality hardware to support DX9 games? Wait for the patch - I'm sure you'll be more happy then!

And yeah, to the original poster I seriously hope you're playing other games to see what that card can really do - get The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Battlefield 2, Half-Life 2 etc...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com