Sign in to follow this  
JRMurray

Upgrading from 7600 GT to 7950 GT: Worth it?

I'm thinking about upgrading my video card from a 7600GT (256 meg RAM)to a 7950GT (512 meg RAM).I fly mostly FS9. Would it be worth it to upgrade?Thanks in advance for opinions....Happy New Year!JoelJoel @ CYVR (not far from CYNJ, really)

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Yes.!!!Can't speak for FS9 but in all game and benchmark FPS comparisions I've seen the 7950GT 512 will give a frame rate way in excess of the 7600GT.Roger

Thanks for the reply, Roger. I would have assumed so, too. Time to use some Xmas gift money ...:-)Cheers!Joel

G'day Joel,Mate I should really qualify my previous answer. You haven't stated your CPU or ram. Whilst the 7950GT is a far superior card to the 7600GT you might not get the improvement in FSX you expect if the rest of your components are limiting performance.Roger

Guest satcomvato

This is true. I was running FSX in my old desktop (1.7GHz/266MHzFSB) and got absolutely no improvement from a video card upgrade. I had an nVidia 5500FX and upgraded to ATI x800gto and saw only a slight fps improvement even though it's a much better card. I still had to run with nearly every setting on minimum with a target fps of 20, and only occasionally it would hit 20.

True, but you should be able to run at a higher resolution and with more AA and AF and still maintain that 20FPS.Image quality is where the benefits of a new GPU show up in Fligh Sim.Glenn

>Mate I should really qualify my previous answer.> You haven't stated your CPU or ram.Thanks again for the reply, Roger. Of course, you're right: I should have listed the specs of my computer:CPU: AMD Athlon 64X2 3800+RAM: 1 gbSound: Soundblaster AudigyCheers!Joel