Sign in to follow this  
Guest wmedrano03

Overclocking Intel Core2 Duo`s

Guest wmedrano03

Hello everyone I decided to switch my cpu to a Core 2 Dou Im thinking of getting the E6600 or E6700 or even a 6800 However on my last post they told me you can get 50-65% increase in performance in these babiesif you overclock them! Can any one guide me to a site or give me instructions on how to effectively over-clock safely so that My MS-FX simming experience can be top notch. Also if there is any motherboard in particular that would allow me to do this? I appreciate your help ahead of time.Btw please note I have also upgraded to an EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB Super Clocked as many of you have suggested. Thanks so much.WallyIntel Core-2 Dou (E6700-E6800) ASUS Silent Knight CPU Cooling Unit4GB of PNY 633MHZ DDR 2 RamASUS Mother Board Windows Vista Ultimate300GB SATA by MaxtorEVGA 8800 GTS 320 MBANTEC Titanium Case with 5 fans 120mmFSX Deluxe

I found it's just a simple as increasing the FSB, you can find many guides on the internet.Example:Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 is rated at 2.66GHz is 333 x 8. I upped the FSB to 400 and the chip ran at 400x8 = 3.2Ghz. It ran stable for a week, but had some problems booting at that speed so I had to drop it back to 388x8=3.1Ghz, now its rock solid. If you really want to get into overclocking, you can modify voltages, memory timings etc. I think the key is to get lucky with the CPU you buy and have memory and a MB that supports the faster bus timings. Be careful as when you start adjusting bios settings like those your risk of a problems or permanant damage increase.

Here's an extract from a post I made earlier on a similar topic, but it's a little buried in a thread to find easily with the search tool:"I just put together an E4300 (1.8GHz), 2GB 800MHz DDR2 and 7900 GTO 512M system for my son, and our overclocking was a simple as:Before even installing Windows:- install Windows XP and all drivers needed to show a clean device manager.- install a stress test program like Orthos.- restart computer and go into BIOS- unlock FSB and RAM divisor (the latter for speed matching, not for overclocking) in BIOS and increase FSB up 20MHz from 200MHz (which is E4300 default) whilst keeping resultant RAM speed <= 800MHz (down from 4:1 to 3:1)- save settings and reboot computer. DON'T let it get past the hit DEL to enter BIOS screen (reset button if you have to), as you don't want it to start loading windows (yet)- if it boots fine, go into BIOS and bump it up by another 20MHz, again keeping resultant RAM speed <= 800MHz using the RAM divisor- repeat until she no longer boots or keeps rebooting remember the last FSB and RAM multiplier that worked. (eg. 400MHz in our case and 2:1 RAM divisor - which gave 3.2GHz)- reset BIOS, using motherboard jumper if required.- set the FSB back 20-25MHz from the last known FSB value that would boot (ie. we picked 376MHz) and set the last working RAM divisor (ie. 2:1 for us)- let it boot into windows, start up Orthos and see how it goes. In our case, 4.5 hours later it was still running strong with no errors.- voila! 1.2 free GHz from a 1.8GHz chip! OK, maybe not super simple, but the basic principle is that you nudge it until it chokes a little, all the while keeping RAM within rated limits, then back off by 100-200MHz resultant OC speed and stress test under full load to certify."Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest wmedrano03

I finally purchased it here you go aABIT IP-35 Pro MotherboardIntel Core 2 Dou E67504GB of PNY Dual Channel 633MHz Ram250GB SATA HardriveATX Silent Case with 5 FansSilent Knight Asus Thermal Solution for CPUDVD-RWCan someone help me with overclock instructions or suggestions for this exact system that I purchased. I heard that if my memory ram is 633mhhz I can only overclock to so much any detailed instructions would be appreciated.Do I need to overclock my memory?-Wally

Guest wmedrano03

Gary what do you mean by 1:2 or 2:1 3:1 thanks for your help.

That's the ratio of the RAM speed to CPU bus speed. eg. for my E6400 @ 3.2GHZ on an 8x multiplier and memory set to 800MHz, - bus speed = 400MHz- FSB = 4 x bus speed = 1600MHz- CPU speed = 8 x bus speed = 3200MHz- RAM:CPU ratio is 2:1, as 800MHz is 2 x the bus speedOr to put it in Abit terms (they all say a similar thing, just worded ordered differently, for your E6750 and 667 memory at stock settings:- external clock (bus speed) = 333MHz- FSB = 4 x external clock = 1333MHz- CPU speed = 8 x external clock = 2666MHz- CPU:RAM ratio (note switched around from my terminology) is 1:2, as 667MHz is 2 x the bus speedNow say you overclock to 3.2GHz, then you get- external clock (bus speed) = 400MHz- FSB = 4 x external clock = 1600MHz- CPU speed = 8 x external clock = 3200MHz- CPU:RAM ratio, if kept at 1:2, will push your 667MHz to 800MHz.What I am suggesting above is that you run the lowest CPU:RAM ratio you can so that your memory is not overstressed while finding out your OC max. Actually, I don't think you can go lower than 1:2, which is why it may have been better if you purchased 800MHz memory which would run at its rated frequency when running your CPU at 3.2GHz.I hope this makes some sort of sense. If not, just go to the uGuru utility window in your BIOS (page 2-2 of your manual) and increase the external clock up from 333 to say 350 first try. That should give an estimated new CPU clock of 2800MHz. See how that goes.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest phenom

watercooling, baby!I'm at 3.6 GHz stable for days on an E6600 watercooled.The following websites were very helpful:www.xtremesystems.orgwww.hardforums.com

Guest fjan3

Gary, I just got an Intel e6750 how far can you overclock with a stock heat sink and fan?Frank

>Gary, I just got an Intel e6750 how far can you overclock>with a stock heat sink and fan?>>FrankI also have a E6750 now running on a Gigabyte P35 S3 MoBo with quality components and 2x 1Gb MDT (German) 800 Mhz ram in my old case with Coolermaster 450W powersupply and Nvidia 7600GTI can easy come to 400Mhz and left the RAM at 800 (1:1) so it's running fine at 3,2 Ghz. It gives me a performance boost in FSX of +/-5 Fps.Going higher then 410Mhz will stop the machine so in my case I can't go higher even if I tried to increase the voltage on the Mobo and RAM.Maybe my powersupply is at his max...If anyone can give me more options to try, I will, because I think 3,6 Ghz must be possible. This is the new G0 stepping CPU so why can other people easy overclock a E4300 with additional 1 Ghz.Happy landings...

Frank, I was going to say between 3GHz should be achievable on stock cooling. If you get it higher than that (3.2GHz is certainly possible), it will probably run pretty warm with stock cooling, but it really does take a lot to kill these chips so I wouldn't worry. Let us know what your temps are under load with FSX at the max overclock you can achieve. It should bet 5-10C less than running Orthos, as the CPU is not stressed as much in FSX.Gary

Simba, that's a pretty good overclock result, so I wouldn't get too caught up on pushign past 410MHz bus. If you think your PSU is the issue, try adding another couple of spare peripherals to your system and see if that affects your stable 3.2GHz overclock. If it does, your PSU may be close to the edge of its capability, but I reckcon that it will not be the culprit. FWIW, my CPU can run up to 3.6GHz with 2G RAM installed, but when I put the extra 1GB in it pulls me down to 3.2GHz. I actually prefer the better system responsiveness of the 3GB RAM, so I am running at 3.2GHz. It's all a compromise. :-)Gary

>Frank, I was going to say between 3GHz should be achievable>on stock cooling. If you get it higher than that (3.2GHz is>certainly possible), it will probably run pretty warm with>stock cooling, but it really does take a lot to kill these>chips so I wouldn't worry. >>Let us know what your temps are under load with FSX at the max>overclock you can achieve. It should bet 5-10C less than>running Orthos, as the CPU is not stressed as much in FSX.>>GaryFrank,Don't worry about the temp with the stock cooler, I'am running at the 3,2Ghz (400 Mhz and the Ram also at 400x2=800 1:1) with the stock cooler and never exceed the 65 degrees Celsius in FSX on long flights. In normal use within XP the temp is between 38C and 45CThe only thing I have done is using aftermarket OCZ Silver CPU cooling pasta.By the way, looking at the comments, I am happy whith the combination Gigabyte P35 and the E6750. The Stock Cooler is connected to the onboard Qfan option and is very silent in normal (non-FSX) mode.Happy landings...

Guest fjan3

Thanks guys, my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P) is similar and so is my RAM (DDR2-8OO 2GB). When I get the computer assembled (maybe this weekend), I plan on doing a dual boot. Windows XP with FS2004 and Vista with FSX. I let you how I make out with temps.Frank

Hi GaryI have been following this thread with interest, particularly as your hardware is very similar to mine. I am contemplating trying some overclocking, so I presume my experience would be much the same as yours.However I am quite nervous at taking this approach and would appreciate some further advice since I think I am identifying a few