Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

ATI X1950 PRO PCI -Express 256 MB Just purchased.....

I just bought the named video card, to replace my ATI X800XT (to be stored away for redundancy)Does anyone have this card, and if so, could you please give me your experience with it using FS9 and even FSX for your best FPS rate (with all sliders and features, full bore) and any comments regarding clarity of ground textures, etc.I have the Pent4 3.4 GHz and using the present X800XT, get a comfortable 30-34 fps with all full bore in FS9. Does this X1950 PRO 256 MB card do better than that?The asking price was excellent, so thought to pick it up. :)Thanks in advance.

I personally would have purchased a DX10 card...but that's just me....how much was the 1950 anyway? 200ish?All I know is that a lot of guys run that card here and with FS9 it's great... what resolution do you run? The reason I ask is because all that card will really do for you is allow you to run at higher resolutions with increased AA and AF.... don't quote me but upgrading to that card won't up your FPS very much, you'd need a whole new system....Let us know how it works out though

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I got the card for $169.00. Not too bad, considering it has GDR3 memory and great reviews no matter what site you choose to read.You are most probably right regarding the FPS side of things. I am happy after all with my present 30ish FPS rate.I use to run 1600x1024 on my Viewsonic monitor (leaning towards going back to one) but now run my Samsung SyncMaster 931bf at its native 1280x1024.I really miss the beautiful color saturation of a monitor, so I think that I will check some out over the weekend. My ViewSonic died a natural death. Nobody fixes them...not worth their while, so they say.The X800XT is no dog, but being that I am not going to upgrade past my Pent4 3.4 GHz for some time (it runs FS9) like a top, I thought mostly to have a new card so my X800XT part could be the rainy-day insurance hardware.I learnt my lesson a few years back regarding NOT purchasing something you might need while it was available.I know that the 1950 Pro is a great card by all the reviews I read before buying it, so I won't be disappointed.Was just wondering if it DID increase the FPS in any way.Thanks for the comeback. I certainly will let you know how it fares with my X800XT as the baseline. Cheers!Mitch

I installed the X1950 Pro today in my:Dell XPS Generation 3 P4 3.4 GHz using a Samsung SyncMaster 931BF LCD monitor running at the native 1280x1024 resolution.What follows is no great explosion of performance....more like a puff of smoke, lol.The X1950 Pro is a very nice card. Gives great clarity and sharpness to all ground textures, where my ATI X800XT sometimes burred out slightly but then cleaned up the textures (updated) in three to five seconds or so.I haven't tried a movie/video yet to see if that part of the engine is better than what I had in the X800XT part. I sure hope so!That is about the only difference I have seen other than I LOST 3 odd FPS on the average by pulling the X800XT part. I find that most curious, really. More clarity for a take-back of 3 FPS. Perhaps there is more going on in the rendering engine of the 1950 Pro and there is some hold back of info for any given clock cycle of the CPU (having to wait where it didn't have to wait for the X800 XT part).Maybe they are still improving the 1950 series drivers...and it will surpass my old and faithful over a couple of driver versions.Dunno...but I still find it odd that this supposedly faster MHz part dropped in performance over the X800XT in the FPS count with no alterations of any sort in FS9. For the most part, this is my recommendation:If you have the X800XT 256 MB part....STICK WITH IT! It is a great card and gives a powerful performance. It certainly keeps up with the ATI 1900 high/mid-range series cards, NO PROBLEM. On a Pentium 4 high-end system that is....I'll keep the X1950 Pro out of curiosity and see if it outperforms my X800XT when put into a multi-core system sometime in the future.For a 169 bucks, I'll keep it as it's already in the box. (smile). Cheers!Mitch

Alright, I have just come off a dusk, dawn, and full night flight.This card does drop 3 FPS over my X800XT...BUT...it DOES render blurry-free!!!Not bad for a 256 MB part.OK,...I revise my initial opinion, and will say that for around $169-$189.00, this card won't disappoint you. Good video, no artifacts in full screen as I had on some video with the X800XT.Great performance in 3D rendering and video for an FS9 -3 FPS trade-off. Using Cat 1950 series 7.8 driver package, the latest on the ATI site.I just added this-- I have the VPU overclocked stable at 575(default)/615 MHz O.C. and Memory overclocked at 688 MHz(default)/722 MHz O.C. Very stable. I couldn't do this with my X800XT.I give this card (after an hour of different scenario FS9 usage)---a Thumb's UP. It will stay in the slot... :)Mitch

Hi Mitch,I switched from an AGP Sapphire X800XL 256MB card to a (PCI-E)Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB some time ago and have not regretted it one bit. This is one fine card, is a great performer and produces superb images.Surprised to see you have relented and changed drivers. If you are still on XP then I would suggest you stick with the Catalyst 7.1 WHQL driver set, as I have. Perhaps that's where you have lost a little performance.I really can't fault this flawless driver set and for the first time in several years have felt neither the need nor necessity for further change. I suppose one of the most demanding games graphically speaking (even moreso than FS9 and FSX) is Oblivion and I can assure you that the X1950 Pro, in partnership with my AMD Athlon 64X2 4800+, handles it with ease.My 60th has just past and I appear to have survived relatively unscathed..LOL! My better half kept pestering me for weeks before and finally I made the decision and she bought me a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22" LCD Display Monitor (1680x1050x32). There has been a great deal of controversy (hysteria?) surrounding this monitor on the net and has focussed around the fact that there are 3 (now possibly 4) different panels being fitted - 'S' (made by Samsung), 'A' by AU Optronics and 'C' by CHI MEI Optoelectronics in China. The 'S' panel is reputedly the best and has been configured correctly out of the box. However, these are like gold dust and you are more likely, as I did, to end up with a 'C' panel. Fear not for I have discovered that all you need to do is invest in a clever gadget called 'Spyder2express', create an accurate colour profile for the monitor and the results are almost beyond belief! If you want to join the ever burgeoning widescreen brigade then this is most certainly the best in its class. Quite wonderful! Best regards,Mike

Hi Mike!"A funny thing happened today on the way to the Forum..."The one thing I really miss about my ViewSonic G19 CRT was the fact that I could get great and vibrant colors AND...in the desk space of a 19 inch CRT screen, could run FS9 at 1600x1024. Ground textures looked awesome at that resolution.This (my Samsung 931bf) is my first LCD and although this particular unit is great for an LCD part....I STILL miss the beautiful color saturation (almost looked wet compared to a current LCD display, that pastel look of color) of a CRT :(I was pricing yesterday, a ViewSonic G90fb with a usable rezo of 1900x (whatever) brand new for about $171.00. I mean..this is DIRT CHEAP. I might pick one up. I'll still keep in mind a larger 21/22 inch LCD, but where in the h*ll do you put the thing on your desktop?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? LOL!Mike, I really do like the X1950 Pro now and say "..it's a keeper". Been playing with it and the driver suite. I really didn't jump ship (still using XP Pro) on the Cat 7.1, but needed a driver set for the 1950 upon install and so grabbed what was in front of me on the ATI site. I'll now go after typing this...and see if I can find the 7.1's for the 1950 series cards. I'm assuming of course that you are in fact using that set, DEDICATED for a 1950 series? I must say...pretty darn amazing the clarity of the ground textures, whether at 1200 feet, or FL190. On my first flight with the 1950 Pro...I sorta held my breath while watching the ground textures (B.E.V Summer) to see if in climbing in altitude, the blurries might pop their ugly heads up. To my great surprise and relief...nothing of the sort, happened. The entire flight 1 hour was in prime focus. What a difference this makes to the suspension of disbelief. I swear I could pick out the shingles on some of the roofs...lol.You go, ATI X1950 256 Pro!!!!If I get back those 3 FPS via CAT 7.1...I'll be sure to come back to this thread and mention it. Enjoy that honking big LCD of yours!!!!Later, Mike,Mitch'er

Mike:Surprised to see you have relented and changed drivers. If you are still on XP then I would suggest you stick with the Catalyst 7.1 WHQL driver set, as I have. Perhaps that's where you have lost a little performance.Mitch: Mike...went back to 1950 series Cat 7.1 and HOLY S***!!!!I just boosted up 17 freakin FPS!!!!17-3= a TRUE increase of 14 FPS over my X800XT part!!!!!!!*******.....That proves beyond a shadow of a doubt...that the Cat 7.1 suite IS the last FULL TUNE, full bore for the XP O.S. After that, VISTA was creeping in....more and more leveraging out XP...No doubt in my mind now.....Thanks for reminding me of that. I used them (Cat 7.1 suite) for the X800XT but it slipped past me when installing the X1950 Pro yesterday morn.WOW!Loving it!Cheers!Mitch

Hi Mitch,1. :)2. I wasn't aware that there is a "1950 series Cat 7.1" driver set. I have just been using the WHQL drivers from ATI and they seem fine, indeed more than fine.Couple of things to keep in mind about the X1950 Pro, if others are thinking of getting one. They run cooler and are not nearly as power hungry as some other cards out there. I didn't need to change my 430W PSU.Lastly, one tip if you use Ray Adams' ATT in preference to the Catalyst Control Panel:If you use an accurate colour profile with your monitor, you may find that on switching to full screen while in FS9/FSX that the colours and gamma change (become brighter and washed out). Having spent over

Mike, first off---thanks for your suggestions and feedback!Much appreciated. Very much appreciated!While I overclocked the X1950 Pro as stated above, and was stable at that VPU and Memory MHz boosts, I thought about it last night and now with such stellar performance, want to keep this part around as long as possible. I have no intentions of migrating beyond XP Pro if Vista is all that will be beyond it. That stated, I am comfortable with FS9 running in DX9c. I only have to think back to my Atari 800 days with pong and Pac-Man...and I was happy with that in 1984, lol. Good diversion.Sometimes, you just have to only place yourself back in that moment of time...and then turn on FS9...and be amazed all over again where FS9/DX9c has brought us.Hence, that is why I looked for a good DX9 part. DX10? What would I need that feature set for, staying and happy with XP Pro? I don't.I removed my overclock setting and am running again with the V.P.U. at (default)575 MHz and the Memory at (default)688 MHz x's 2 The card runs now at a very cool 46 to 52 Celsius.You are so right, as was all the reviews I read regarding this card. The ATI X1950 Pro 256 is a 'winna'. :)Cheers!P.S. If this thread doesn't reinforce the role in having the right fine-tuned driver package running your card, then I don't know what does.Mitch

Wow I wasn't expecting 17 FPS lol!Good for you anyway haha!Enjoy it!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Mike..I tracked down an unbelievable ATI X1950PRO DEDICATED, not the normal CAT GENERIC driver package that runs everything else...The packaging is 8.29 and it will blow your mind when you apply it.The package is over 60 MB huge.I have now gone from my usual 30-34 FPS with my X800XT to a HUNDRED PERCENT FPS increase. I think I am having a stroke!I am now running with EVERYTHING cranked in FS9 at....65-70 FPS.PHNL,KORD,KLAX..doesn't matter.Absolutely NO blurries...they're gone. Man..simply gone.Full A.I. crammed everywhere.You need to get in touch with me...and I will try to find a way to get this package off to you.This is the HOTTEST card I have ever owned! No wonder every article says that it is the SLEEPER of all time!Blow-my-mind satisfied, I am!Get in touch with me....private message with your email and I will send it as an attachment for you. I can only imagine what you'll get with your 512 MB on board. BTW, is that 512 MB GDDR 3 memory or 2?Cheers!Mitch'er

This morning, I have gone WAY past that...What a laugh...by trying out different driver packages..I have gone from a (using my old and no dog X800XT as a baseline) negative 3 FPS in the last couple of days, to over a 100 percent FPS increase now running at 65-70 FPS on average.FS9 of course at full bore.I'd recommend the ATI1950 PRO to ANYONE, and wouldn't lose sleep over it.Thanks for the good wishes.Mitch

I tracked down an unbelievable ATI X1950PRO DEDICATED, not the normal CAT GENERIC driver package that runs everything else...The packaging is 8.29 and it will blow your mind when you apply it.The package is over 60 MB huge.I have now gone from my usual 30-34 FPS with my X800XT to a HUNDRED PERCENT FPS increase. I think I am having a stroke!I am now running with EVERYTHING cranked in FS9 at....65-70 FPS.PHNL,KORD,KLAX..doesn't matter.Absolutely NO blurries...they're gone. Man..simply gone.Full A.I. crammed everywhere.You need to get in touch with me...and I will try to find a way to get this package off to you.This is the HOTTEST card I have ever owned! No wonder every article says that it is the SLEEPER of all time!Blow-my-mind satisfied, I am!Get in touch with me....private message with your email and I will send it as an attachment for you. I can only imagine what you'll get with your 512 MB on board. BTW, is that 512 MB GDDR 3 memory or 2?Hey Mitch,Please don't take this the wrong way, but my gut feeling tells me it is all sounding too good to be true and, in my experience, when something seems too good to be true it usually is.I'm certainly not disputing your results in FS9 as, quite clearly, you are seeing a huge boost in performance. What does concern me is the lack of info on the net about these drivers. If they are so good, when applied to the X1950 Pro, then why is this fact not being screamed about on the relevant forums? The only reference I have found refers to Catalyst 6.9 modified - 8.29 drivers. An enormous hike in performance, such as you are witnessing, suggests that it may have been achieved at the expense of something else, and that is worrying.Also, I have to wonder why this '8.29' driver package is so large? The ATI Drivers+CCC+AVIVO 7.1 WHQL package is 35,474 KB whereas the ATI driver package on its own is only 12,523 KB in size.My position currently is that finally I have found a set of drivers that deliver superb results in a very diverse range of sims/games - FS9, FSX, LockOn, RealFlight G3.5, Oblivion, X2/X3, Half Life 2/Episode One/DeathMatch and my 4 year old Grandson's favourites: Tiger Woods PGA 2003, Future Pinball, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer. To have achieved such a wide range of stability is no mean feat and perhaps you can appreciate my reluctance to rock the boat - one of many reasons why I don't find the move to Vista at all attractive right now and for the forseeable future.Still, having said all that, I'm still trying to sit here with an open mind. E-mailing such a large file could prove difficult. Perhaps a link to the d/l would be more appropriate, and I would dearly like to read any reviews and user experiences out there before committing.Your enthusiasm is as infectious as ever, Mitch. It's so hard to resist!Yep, the 512MB card also has the DDR3 memory on board.Best regards,Mike