Sign in to follow this  
doc1956

Perfect LCD Size for FSX?

Folks,Just to close this thread off, from my point of view as I originated it. I decided on a 24" LCD monitor to use in conjunction with my previous 19" Samsung. I have to say the difference is tremendous. I have really been missing out I think as the new 24" Widescreen, used in conjunction with the 19" Samsung for GPS, Radio Stack etc is just fantastic!The 24" display (a BenQ V2400W in my case) runs really well and text etc is just perfect. The extra size has created no trouble at all so if any of you other people were thinking of adding a larger monitor then I can highly recommend it!! I read elsewhere that once you get a larger screen there is no going back and I certainly believe that now.Paul

Pardon the simple question but, do widescreen views FSX end up making distorting the image, as in round gauges and so forth? I am using a 4:3 display and don't think I'd want distorted 2d panels to accomodate widescreen. Plus, isn't there more CPU required to drive an higher resolution image, or no?NoelX9650 w/ Retail HSF|ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi|4GB Muskin Ascent 7-6-6-18 1T DDR3-1600|EVGA 8800GT|Seagate SATA 2 x 2|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro SP2|Vista 64--maybe never to be installed

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest D17S

I've never noticed the stretching issue with the 2D at 1920x1080 in the 744. I spend a lot of time staring at the real deal and it looks fine to me . . . and at 19x10 on a 42"er, it's very close to (real) life-size. In the V-cockpit, I have all 3 view axis HOTAS setup on the "T.a.S." I sit about a foot from the screen and I literally feel as if I'm adjusting the seat in an actual 744 cockpit. It is sooo cool let the seat down and to tuck-in just level with the glareshield. Taking a deep breath, I'll disco AP and AT and 'get serious' just before GS capture for a Cat3, handflown approach. Most definitively, I have gained a more intuitive understanding for what these guys do for a living. Outside of an actually Level 3 motionbox, it's about as real as you can get. Actually, the FSX graphics are lightyears beyond Anything I've Ever seen in real Level 3 trainer. Turn out the room lights and shoot an approach to Tampa's Kai Tek at night. Woah!Also, it seems that these modern Vcards are so underwhelmed by the processed data our overwhelmed CPUs can provide, they have all kinds of headroom to maintain FPS at whatever resolution one might want to run. I've experimented with 12x10 vs 19x10 and there was No FPS difference with an 8800GT.At $800 bucks these days, exercising the option to softened a stutter via buying souped-up mobos and 2000Mhz DDR3 ram over the the opportunity to Closely simulate an actual cockpit experience might be advised as contraindicated! After all, what are we - Actually - trying to do here? So if reality is the requisite, a 42" LCD might present as a reasonable contender for the "Perfect LCD Size for FSX."

Guest sunbear

Sam,In addition to your 42" LCD that you are using, Can I ask what yoke & rudder pedals you have? It sounds like you have quite a system to run FS with..Regards,jack

Guest D17S

I'm still using an old Saitek X45. I'm a LOMAC flier too. We think FSX is a hog, try that thing. This rig will finally run it and I couldn't resist putting it back on. In a furball with that kind of peripheral field of view, it can get extremely disorienting . . . a bit like the real deal, I'd assume. It's really a blast.

The Alienware curved DLP sounds intriguing too.What about older payware, like my Cessna Conquest? Will it have squashed gauges? I notice your comment related to the 744.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest SpeedBird192

Currently 42" at 1920 x 1080.Went from a 24" 1920 x 1200.I might rethink a 30" at 2560 x 1600 now that I have some video cards that can work well at those resolutions.But the 42" really gives you a sense of motion.42" - $1000 (with DVI)30" - $1700 (Apple HD Cinema)24" - $700 (Dell)I have all of these hooked up to various Macs/PCs -- the 30" Apple HD Cinema is by far the best display, espeically when it comes to color matching for Photoshop and video work. But the 42" is great for gaming -- makes me motion sick ;)It's all good, think you'll love the 24" -- it'll seem huge compared to the 19".

Guest SpeedBird192

Actually DisplayPort 1.1 spec might dominate and replace HDMI and more "TV" displays are coming out that support 2560 x 1600. Which means get ready for the next new wave of HDTV or Quad HDTV or whatever they finally call it...Would love a 42" that could do 2560 x 1600 - perfect match of size to resolution.http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/25/samsung...ayport-game-on/http://www.barco.com/telecom/en/products/g...s.asp?class=3813840 x 2160 - 56" now that's what I'm talkin' about for FSX :)