Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

doc1956

Perfect LCD Size for FSX?

Folks,I currently use a Samsung 19" SyncMaster LCD which is actually pretty good with FSX, although not Widescreen. What is the general opinion about the ideal size for an LCD Widescreen Monitor, particularly with respect to FSX?I am looking at 24" and 26" at the moment as there always seems to be a 'catch up process' with PCs. I recall using 14", then 15" then 17" then 19" and so on. Eventually there has to be a limit otherwise will we all be sitting in front of 108" Wallscreens....:)I certainly would appreciate opinions from users with large screens 24" and over. Thank you all.Paul

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Depends on the resolution you want to run at and what your video card can drive.Personally I like 24" to 28" at 1920 x 1200. I'm in the middle of a new build for presently and wrestlng with going to 30" at 2560 x 1600 (I think it is). As I understand it, TFT flatscreens generally have a single best resolution they want to be run at for a quality picture which is important with flight sims cosiderng the distances you deal with when flying. Being able to see the runway clearly at 5M feet and 5 miles out is a plus.It also depends on how far back from the screen you sit. Some simmers use 32" and up but probably sit fairly far from the screen. I wouldn't go below 24" for FSX unless my graphics card couldn't drive that res comfortably. You can also go with multitple monitors at lower resolutions as well but that will also make additional demands of the v card.I use a 24" sony TFT for 2 years and am quite happy with it. If I don't go 30" on the new build for my second box I will probably go 28" with the Hanspree at 1920 by 1200. And, it's under $600.00

Thanks for your reply. I use my LCD fairly close by, basically right in front of me ( a couple of feet away) and I am hoping to use any new monitor at its native resolution, so it will be at 1900 x 1200 (24" - 26" most likely. BenQ V2400W or perhaps a Samsung 2693HM). I was wondering what users of these larger monitors prefer and I still have plenty of space to push the LCD further away if necessary. I want to take this purchasing opportunity to jump to the ideal size monitor instead of going up an inch or so in screen size every few years.Again, thanks.Paul

>I am looking at 24" and 26" at the moment as there always>seems to be a 'catch up process' with PCs. The only

Been using a 37" and a 27" running at 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 respectively. Getting a 47" in a week..........simple, the BIGGER the BETTER.

Tried a 27" 1920x1200 it was fine for FSX but I found for normal text/web use the fonts were too pixelated.Also demoed a 30" 2560x1600, loved the size but the high pixel count impacted frame rate too much, also it was harder to see text fonts, as the dpi was higher.With big screen HDTVs and projectors, FSX does not look as good I find, as the AA issues stand out.Happy with my 24" 1920x1200.

djt01>>ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA (Intel X48 chipset) BIOS 403>Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme>OCZ Titanium XTC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)>EVGA GTX 280 FTW>Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty>2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB (RAID 0) - Vista Ultimate 64>Bit/SP1>2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB (RAID 0)

>Tried a 27" 1920x1200 it was fine for FSX >but I found for normal text/web use the fonts were too>pixelated.Jackcnd,That's a good point about normal use. Although I thoroughly enjoy FSX, I also do many other tasks with my setup. I have been looking at a 26" Samsung/BenQ etc but 24" may well be the best size when taking into account general PC use and FSX?Paul

Paul- May I offer a quite contrarian opinion!Consider the possibility of three modest sized LCD monitors side by side. My setup uses 3 mons this way to give me a Flight Sim field of view approx 48" wide. With FS9 views LeftFwd, Fwd, RightFwd displayed and fully synched in roll and pitch, I have a 150

I have the 28" HannsG monitor along with a 22" Viewsonic side by side on my desk - absolutely incredible. I run the 28" at 1920x1200 with no problems at all.VicQ6600 G0 CPU 2.4 o/c 3.65Evga 680i A1 with P31 BIOS 2G XP2-8500 DDR2 1066FSB Mushkin 996535 RAM 5-5-4-12-2T320G 7200 HD partitioned for XP/Vista/Programs 2 - 74G Raptors in RAID0 500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx XG 174.74 702/1620/792Kandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyHannsG 28" & Viewsonic 22" LCDVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

There is NO WAY you can convince me that OBTRUSIVE, multi-bezel separations scenes are more pleasant to the eyes than a ONE LARGE CONTINUOUS FLAWLESS scene, just like the windshield of my car UNINTERRUPTED. Right now I am using a 37" for my primary display and a second monitor of 27" as my odds and ends. I am betting that my future setup with a 47" would be still more exciting."Once you've used multi mons for both simming AND many other tasks there's no going back!!"This is true. Bear in mind, LARGE real estate can be subdivided into MANY things.Abe

Abe- Flight Sim main view forward has a field of view of only 45

>Paul- May I offer a quite contrarian opinion!>Consider the possibility of three modest sized LCD monitors>side by side. Alex,Thanks for the suggestion, it would certainly be ideal, but my Samsung 19" is still very usable and I intend on keeping it as a 2nd monitor. The real 'agony' is wondering if it's really worth spending $50-100 more for 1.5 inches of screen-space going from a 24" to a 25.5" (listed as 26")?I have never used such a large monitor so was wondering how current users of these size monitors have found them. Unfortunately, the Hardware Forums are not very helpful at times as there are often as many users for a particular monitor, or size, as there are against. Also, most PC orientated stores only have Monitors on display up to 24" that I have found so far where I live.Paul

Paul I'm with you on "use it up". I'm running two 8yr old, 19" CRTs and a third, more recent 17" LCD to save a bit of space. I found that it's quite practical to partly overlap an LCD bezel on a CRT bezel. All three monitors colour match perfectly and different sizes of mons are easily adapted with appropriate ZOOM.The result with this trio is a 48" wide "monitor"- all 3 views are synched in roll and pitch via simple bezel corrections to the view angles. The bezels are no more annoying than auto windshield pillars.Sure beats single view "tunnel vision"!Alex ReidPS I'm now just looking at a photo of a real 747 flight deck and I can see 3 pillars which each appear to be about 5" wide!

Alex, I have no doubt that you got the MATH and EXPLANATION on your side. What I think is, it's a matter of PREFERENCE. I do realize that multi-monitors has that beautiful cineramic view. But it also, IMHO, has its distractions....the separations between monitors. The closest thing to a perfect marriage (LOL), between your setup and mine is a demo I have seen in January at CES (Consumer Electronic Show) in Las Vegas. It was a Large monitor, forgot the specs, that curved around giving an almost 180

Abe- ALWAYS on speaking terms to a fellow simmer! I'm keen to hear about your new 47. I'm especially curious to know if it's possible/practical to display three side by side views on one large monitor- that would solve the bezel problem. I've tried this on one of my 19 CRTs but the results were not sufficiently practical to make a judgement.In the meantime, I soldier on with a zero Flight Sim budget for 2008- until I see what lies beyond FSX!Cheers Alex Reid

Alex, good to hear that camaraderie should exist between us simmers.I should have explained early on how I use my monitors. I never had less than 2 monitors for a very long time. I started with two 19", progressed to two 21" then added a 3rd smaller, 17". Now I have the 37" and the 27".My flight scenarios vary. Long and short scenic trips, adventures, difficult landings, challenging mountains....etc.... I've been a geography buff ever since I was a little boy and that continued onto my adulthood. Got my private pilot license many moons ago. My aspirations to be an airline pilot were dashed because my eyes could not qualify. So, for the best thing I could do, was join TWA as a purser then Service Manager on mostly L1011's and 747SP's. That allowed me to fly where the airline pilots fly.Back to earth and simming. I use the larger monitor (now 37" progressing to a 47") essentially for one view only my aircraft in spot view, I add the panel view to it at the same time, or display each separately. Of course I do other views depending on my whims.On my 2nd monitor, I put a potpourri of things. An essential map, mappoint or streets, linked to FSX with xconnect, I like to see my exact location at all times. I add a full panel or parts of a panel. Sometimes I add navigational charts, or even look at some old charts that were discarded and given to me during my flying days. As you can see that the 2nd monitor should have lots of real estate to accept all that JUNK (nice junk, though).Going back to the main monitor, I always enjoy a simple panoramic scenery view and nothing else, zooming in and out....slowly and hopefully gracefully.I hope that would give you an idea why I like my setup the way it is. But, Alex, I always maintain an open mind.Thanks for listening.Abe

What distance to the monitor do you guys have that use 30" and up? I currently have a 22" widescreen which is positioned some 50 cm from my eyes. I tried a 26" and to me that felt as about as big as I could cope with at that distance. I really don't see the point in moving further away from the screen either! :) I do all my flying in VC with TrackIR and with my current hardware setup the 26" also seems like the maximum size when you are moving your head around and the computer has to keep up with rendering the views. To me nothing beats VC when it comes to creating a sense of being there and the spatial awareness, and Alex, I've seen your screenies of your setup. Fortunately we all have different taste and nothing is right or wrong!Anyway, I have to move the flight sim computer to the living room and hook it up with my 47" LCD TV just to see what it lookes like. I've already tried Ship simulator 2008 on that set and it was wonderful! Almost got me dizzy riding those waves...