Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest davidvoogd

Quadcore vs Dualcore for the non overclocker

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Man you are on a quest...... Intel is dropping the Q9300-a very good quad core for the Q9450. You may get a great price on this one........They both will fly FSX very good.....But your second choise will suit you better if you really never want to O/C. I would think...Its @ 3.16,closer to that sweet spot FSX likes......

Yep definately on a quest lol - figured I'd get a dedicated processor thread going, all the other dual core vs quads I found was oc based.Thanks for the info

Considering FSX won't use 4 cores, you'd be better off getting a E8400. Good dual core with a nice 3.0ghz clock out of the box. The core stays cool and draws less power than the 65nm's. It also OC's well, but I guess oc'ing doesn't matter, does it? :)

Why do you say it won't use 4 cores?I seem to recall reading specific information that FSX can scale to almost any number of cores.I had all but settled on plopping down for a Q9450, even knowing that FSX was the only program I intended on using any time soon capable of using multiple cores. I figured over the next couple of years, there will be an exponential increase in applications/games that make efficient use of multiple cores.I totally understand the CPU bound nature of FS. It still at least SOUNDS more powerful though to have, say, 4 cores at 3.2 GHz (imagine Q9450 modestly overclocked) than 2 cores at 3.6 (Modest E8400 Overclock).Sincerely, if there's no real performance benefit to 4 cores over two, let me know. I sure believed a different story too. Totally not downing what you are asserting, but I'm making the big processor decision pretty soon here, and I could save a chunk of cash by going Dual Core... but if a Quad will last me that much longer in the long run, I'm willing to invest in that.~Nate

No overclocking? The E8500 then - raw core speed is more important than more cores than two at this stage of the FS game.Gary

Well it doesn't matter now ... had to replace all the brakes on my car - PC is put on hold for a bit now :@Thanks for the help anyways though.