Sign in to follow this  
rwy12

Performance difference between anistropic and trilinear...

Hi everyoneCan someone please explain the differnce in performance and the qualityof images between the above two in fsx.I recently upgraded my system to q6600 OC @ 3.33 on air and a nvidia 8800 ultra,4 gig ram .OS 32 bit vista.I thought the problems of blurries in fsx would be a history on this set-how wrong was I?I did a search on google and found that if I choose trileaner filter in fsx the blurries are every where,BUT if I choose anisotropic filter than the scenry is much clearer,the blurries are reduced.Please share your ideas +thoughts on how can I get rid of the blurries.Qas

Guest firehawk44

Set your FSX.cfg graphics settings to Default. If at default settings, lower scenery sliders lower, especially the top radius setting (no lower than medium). I would also test turning off all autogen and AI too as it takes time to render those selections too, then slowly turn them back on until you start seeing blurries once again. Make sure AA/AF is turned on within FSX; use default selections made by Nvidia techs for FSX in the Nvidia display settings.Microsoft has published an excellent blog regarding the blurries: http://www.fsinsider.com/tips/Pages/Focusi...urriesPost.aspx. There are many more posts on this forum regarding the subject too. Good luck fighting the blurries!Jim

Phil Taylor did an elaborate minute analysis of the "blurries" on his blog a while ago and ended up breaking them down into a couple of main "types". Blurries are much more of a problem for some people than others and I think it must come down to how you actually use FSX. If, like me, you're content to sit in front of your virtual controls and gaze out of the cockpit window at whatever happens to be passing, you will seldom if ever encounter "blurries" - certainly with a PC as powerful as yours. With this style of play, the PC never has to load more than a few new textures at any one time. But if you like to zoom around, looking at the aeroplane / landscape from lots of different external views in quick succession, you will OFTEN be troubled by blurries, because with each significant change of viewpoint the PC has to scramble around to load a lot of new textures all at once. This just cannot be done anywhere near instantaneously, even with the loading spread across four cores.The settings on your graphics card will not help at all in this regard. The only difference the AF settings make, is in the quality (smoothness and acutance) of the objects and textures actually displayed - ONCE they have been loaded.As to that: anisotropic and trilinear filtering are just different ways of giving smoothness and acutance to the objects and textures displayed. Anisotropic filtering does a slightly nicer job and imposes a slightly higher overhead on the GPU, but as I have said, it is not really addressing the blurries at all.Tim

Personally, with that setup, I'd download nHancerhttp://www.nhancer.com/And create a profile and choose 16x AF (anisotropic filtering) and 8xS AA. I've found the default FSX in-game settings to not work as well as nHancer. You can really crank up your video card enhancements with the program.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Himany thanks to all of you for taking time to help.I have tried using default and even all sliders at minimum and the blurries are still present.By using anistropic filtering with AA ticked the scenery becomes a bit better.I have installed the nhancer and selected 16 anistropic and 16 AA.Not sure what to do with fsx option on filters-do I uncheck all or select anistropic and AA.I will try few option and let you guys know how I get on.Once again many thanks to all.Qas

Remove the checkmarks in FSX for AA and AF. In nHancer, do not check Enhance in-game AA setting. Under AA, check 4xS under the Combined heading for AA and under AF check 16X . If you take too much of a performance hit, reduce AA and AF in nHancer a little at a time.Regards,Jim Karn