Sign in to follow this  
Guest ChrisWren

Rivets on a template question

Guest ChrisWren

I have been trying to repaint the BeaverX using the template available from Aerosoft. I'm very new to painting FS aircraft, and am using Photoshop CS2.The problem I'm having is that there is a base white layer, which has rivets on it. Then there are separate layers for other colors, such as the red I'm adding. When I add my red stripes on the red layer, it visually covers the rivets on the white layer beneath the red. I tried bringing the white layer up ahead of the red layer, but that made the red disappear altogether. What am I missing?

Hi Chris :)Set the red/paint schemes layer mode to "multiply". This should retain the colour but allow the underlying rivets to show through :)

or there is a filter you can download and install called "remove white" i believe. works good for getting rid of the white backgrounds. just don't ask my poor tired brain where i got it...lol

Guest ChrisWren

Thanks! Setting the red to Multiply helped!

>>>>>>or there is a filter you can download and install called "remove white" <<<<<<

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

not that I want to argue with you but, he said"The problem I'm having is that there is a base white layer, which has rivets on it." in which case the filter i suggested would do the trick, and leave him with a layer with nothing but the rivets on it.http://www.photoshop-filters.com/html/macks.htmis where you can find the filter, if you're interested.

I just had a go with the filter. It worked ok but it had to be pretty much pure white for the filter to remove it. For the rest it bascially reduced the opacity. The problem is on nearly all FS flattened paint kits the fuselages aren't pure white.It's still useful to have it in the toolbox though :)

Ok Morgan,Thats what I was expecting.It works with white but not really on grey-scales.Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

that would be why it's named "remove white".and you're still missing the original post that said it was a white background with the rivets. the filter works great in that situation.

OK, I understand what you mean.What I ment to say is, more or less the same as Morgan stated.It wont work perfect on many blanks who are really not white enough to let the plug-in do its work sufficiently.It has its limitations.Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Cool beans! I just noticed this post and downloaded/installed Mac's "Remove White" filter. I also had do find and download "msvcr10.dll" since I didn't have it in my C:WindowsSystem folder.I just tried it out in Photoshop CSv8.0 on the C172 base white livery and it works a real treat!Thanks for the heads up on this cool plugin.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Rixster7077

holy moly I'm glad I found thhis post!!!!..you have no idea how long I've been trying to figure out how to use these "sinlge layer" paint kits as I like to call them...I had no idea about using "multiply" but man does that work great!...thank you so very very much!!!!