Sign in to follow this  
Noel

To XP or not to XP that is the question

The biggest problem I have had so far is that MS decided to stop support Netbeui in Win XP. They want to push you to Netbios over TCP/IP. Thanks, but I'll change if and only if I want to. I had to hunt all over the internet until I finally found Netbeui protocol that I could install and get the XP machine back on the network. Given MS' security problems, netbios over TCP/IP seems too much risk for me.I assume the "TCP/IP services" referenced in a previous message refers to things like ftpd, pppd, telnetd, etc. XP home would be kind of useless without a TCP/IP stack.scott s..

Hi Basil,Long time friend. Glad to see you around again."But few, if any, of those (NTFS) features are important to a user who uses their machine primarily for gaming in a home environment."I have to disagree. Even if you don't use one or more of the security, networking or compression features it makes available that you say are "corporate" features only, two specific features of NTFS in particular are transparent and absolutely critical for *all* users regardless of their experience: reliability and large drive usage.NTFS, like ext3 and other file systems on Linux, is journaling. Fat32 on the other hand, is not and is prone to loose user data like no tomorrow - specially on a "newbie's" or family system considering practical use (turning off the computer with the power switch, etc). I have no doubt every Win9x user, pro and newbie alike, is intimately familiar with ScanDisk - simply because it is forced to run so often on Fat drives because that system corrupts more data than you can throw a fish at.NTFS doesn't loose data like Fat32 (sure it can and does happen, but it is very rare on NTFS systems and usually for much different reasons). Hence the lack of ScanDisk on XP: there's no need (said to great sighs of relief :-)). NTFS automatically recovers itself from possible data damaging situations - in mere seconds and wholly in the background.The second indispensable feature for all users: large drive support. In todays world of 250 gigabyte hard drives, NTFS is an absolute must. Because of its modern design, little drive space is wasted on cluster size: NTFS can format the largest of drives and still use a cluster size as small as 4k. Fat32, on the other hand, must use a cluster size of 32kb(!) on any drive above 32 gigabytes. As a matter of fact, you can't even format partitions greater than 32GB on Win9x and XP, although its possible with external utilities. To get the same cluster size benefit as NTFS however, you'd have to format a 250GB drive into 31 8GB partitions - its not even possible (and can you imagine? :-lol). Even on an average 80 gigabyte drive with 32GB or larger partitions, Fat32 wastes and makes unavailable a huge chunk of that space: drive space that sits unused which could otherwise fit a few more of those large games. I don't even want to contemplate how much would be lost on the largest 250GB drive with 32kb clusters. Whats more: as drive size increases, NTFS doesn't decrease in speed - Fat32 most certainly does.So, I'd say NTFS (or another modern, journaling file system) is an absolute must in all circumstances these days - regardless of user experience. Which means using XP, Linux or some other operating system.Take care,Elrond

While ftp daemons and other servers are only included in Pro, XP's "simple tcp/ip services" are indeed the "extra" utilities of TCP that most don't use: echo, quote, daytime, etc. So, no need to include them in Home, or indeed install them for the vast majority.XP Home without the standard TCP/IP stack would be completely useless though! :-)Take care,Elrond

Thank you Basil, Scott and Elrod, Your posts have been very helpful and informative. I would assume you should do a scandisk and defrag before attempting the XP install. One thing though, would I purchase the XP upgrade or full install to install a dual boot system?Sorry I didn't respond sooner but right after I posted my questions this morning my computer at work crashed. Dreaded 'corrupt registry' but I think I've found the answer to that problem since I got home and can access the internet.

>Simple TCP/IP services <---------- >>Forgive my ignorance but TCP/IP is the protocol used for >networking which I have in my home. Does the above mean >that it won't work on XP Home? ? Here is what Mastering Windows XP Home Edition (www.sybex.com) says about Simple TCP/IP Services:"A group of TCP/IP services (including a Quote of the Day service and an Echo generator) that you're unlikely to need. Don't install them unless you're sure you need them, because they can be used in denial-of-service attacks by malware that gets into your computer. Worse yet, some personal firewall software packages don't monitor these services."As others said, normal TCP/IP works just fine.

Or at least that COULD be the question. For my upgrade from Win98, I chose Win2K for the following reasons:1. Same solid kernal as XP2. NO activation technology! I am delighted to have picked up what amounts to the same core as XP without the AT. I just plain do not like the whole concept of AT!3. It's basically leaner, which fits my needs just dandy.4. Win2K pro will be supported by MS until Mid 2008--which is actually longer than they will be supporting XP Home.5. Everything I run runs on Win2K no problem.6. One can improve the GUI if they wish with Windowblinds etc.7. And can I say it one more time: NO ACTIVATION TECHNOLOGY! This alone is worth the upgrade!!!!!!!!8. And of course, can us NTFS.Cheers,Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X