Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

Innsbruck AI

Hi Domingos,in real life you are not supposed to follow the GS down to the runway. MDH is at 4500 ft (approx 2500 AGL) which is at the ABSAM NDB, at DME 6.0 OEV. From that point on real world pilots do not use LOC or GS but make a visual approach, because the LOC is offset and also maybe for the reasons you have experienced. Till that point the default FS2002 GS seems to work perfectly IMHO.One thing I do not understand is, that (also in real life) the OM is located after the MDHpoint - for what reason do you need an OM, when making a visual approach?Till that point the default FS2002 GS seems to work perfectly IMHO.Wolfganghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e307b8708dbb83e.jpg

Guest Stamatis

MDH is at 4500 ft (approx 2500 AGL)Then MDA (not MDH) is 4500 ft and DH is 2500 ft :-)Stamatis

Yes, thanks!I'm always a bit confused by this ".. is it MDH or MDA, DA or DH..." :-)Wolfgang

Guest Stamatis

Thanks, you have just confirmed my suspicion, as expressed in message #11 above.Stamatis

I have chnaged the active rwy to 26 by AFCAD and discovered, that now many approaching aircraft do not crash but report missed approaches to ATC. By using the follow AI mode in AIMAP I found out that these planes decend till they have approx. reached the height of the surrounding mountains, then report a "go around" even if they are on a straight in approach and have freec sight to the rwy, climb out into eternity, never to be seen again.Changing the active rwy to 26 at leasts helps the departing planes not to crash into the mountains, when they turn to the north a few miles after take off like all departing AI planes in Innsbruck seem to do. Wolfgang

Dear Andreas and Wolfgang,I would like to clarify the comments on the ILS location:a) The localizer is correctly located, and it is an offset localizer.:( The GS is wrongly located at the same co-ordinates of the localizer, i.e. at the far end of the rwy. As Wolfgang says, once the rwy is on sight, the pilot will make a manual approach and landing. That is why I did not notice the GS location until recently. Only when, under low visibility conditions, I made the ILS approach, I noticed I was too high when I reached the rwy threshold.c) The co-ordinates I used to correct the GS location are those provided by MS through AFCAD. As you may know the information used by the instruments (VOR, ILS,...) and the information used by Map and GPS come from different files.d) If you follow the GS (correctly located) you will come safely from the top of the mountain down to the rwy in a position that will allow a landing with a minimum of manual intervention.e) Why the OM is located where it is I have no idea, but according to the Jeppesen chart it seems to be correctly located.Regards,

Thank you all for your input and information, this has been very informative. The crashing AI traffic at LOWI is very interesting! I'm about 75% finished with my Swiss / German / Austrian AI traffic additions and have not witnessed this strange behavior yet in the simulator, but Wolfgang's idea to change the active runway to 26 seems like a good idea. I would either use the ILS 26 approach or the circle to land approach to 26 anyway, despite MSFS ATC clearing us for a straight-in to runway 8 when approaching from the west: I don't think that is possible, or done in the real world,is it?Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.