Sign in to follow this  
StoneC0ld

Team AVSIM Practice thread #3

Today we shall start a practice run for Team AVSIM to prepare for the Round the World Race. The actual race begins on February 20th. So this is a good time for old veterans to renew their skills and for new teammates to get the procedures down before the actual race begins.One of the keys to our winning the last two years has been our organization. We want to keep the baton in the air. That means that we try to have someone at the destination airport waiting, with engines warmed up and flight plan filed, ready for the arriving teammate. When the landing pilot announces on the forum "The baton is free at ICAO" (ICAO being the ICAO of the landing airport), the waiting teammate immediately announces "I have the baton" and takes off. (Best if each Race Leg begins in a new "subthread")The sequence looks like:----The "I have the baton" poster grabs the baton and takes off.He then, or in a forum edit a couple of minutes later, gives the destination airport (ICAO) and ETA in Zulu time. For fun, the pilot might also give his aircraft.Under that thread, the pilot posts updates to the flightplan. Changes in ETA or destination.The pilot lands and prepares and posts his screenshot.The pilot, while posting the confirmation shot, declared "The baton is free at ICAO"-------The ETA should be in Zulu time (say 1425z). (Zulu is UTC or what we used to call GMT. For current Zulu time, go to http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?UTC/s/0/java ) Posting the destination airport and the ETA allows the next pilot to begin his preparations

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest KChapman

Assuming we're headed down the coast for practice, as that's the trend. SCFA-SCLL planned at 20,500. Gonna try 'er in the Howard 500.EDIT: Aircraft overstressed at altitude from wind shifts at the edge of its performance envelope. I know better than that, but wanted to see what she could do. I'll try 'er again in the trusty P-38L. Again, I have the baton: SCFA-SCLL.Kevin

Guest KChapman

Departed SCFA in severe clear with 3 knots wind from the NW. Turned west from north departure to intercept a direct south to SCLL (pic #1), keeping an eye on the rising terrain around the field.Cruise climb and cruise were business as usual and quite beautiful. Clouds began to form at the halfway mark, and thickened somewhat at 100nm out. Descent was fast, pushing the beast up to 414 knots GS and minding the mixture for optimum power.* I saw one of the infamous FS9 visibility layers below me on descent, and hit it a few miles before the hills between me and the destination field (pic #2 - close to the terrain).Approach was easy enough in what was still VFR conditions, and wind was absolutely nil on landing and rollout (pic #3).________________________________*Note to self and others interested: It's a good idea to be very familiar with fuel burns in performance and economy climbs, cruises, and descents in each bird I try so I know: 1) how much fuel to load dependent upon the length of the leg and the profiles demanded by factors like terrain and weather 2) how aggressive I can afford to be in the various phases (including enroute altitude selection for winds aloft) given the remaining fuel on board, and3) how much fuel I'll be leaving for go-arounds, especially when descending into known sour weather.We may do well to keep in mind that since we're only on a 2-hour journey, we'll fly faster if we only tank the fuel we need (given reserves for diversion and/or go-arounds). At the same time, we must make sure we get there. Ever the balancing act. :-)Have fun up there,Kevin

Good work, Klasse. Nasty little hillsides nearby, eh?M.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Klasse, in actual racing conditions we might want to avoid such airports if possible. In poor weather, we'd have had quite a challenge to get down here...:-eekGive me a good old international airport, with ILS and a long runway. Of course, you miss the surprise and excitement of narrow valleys with hills on both ends of the runway.Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest KChapman

And a nice landing in a tricky crosswind, as witnessed on multiplayer. :-)