Sign in to follow this  
Guest deleteriousone

Where now?

Guest deleteriousone

I just read about this fly around the world contest and it sounded interesting. After reading the rules and threads here at AVSIM I decided to give a leg a practice try. I flew the first The first leg will be (WAPL to YBAM ) of practice thread #8 in the Flight1 Piper Meridian. I watched on Bush net as wt1l touched down at WASR.I connected to Bush Net using the muli-player FS option the (first time I ever have used it) and my plane was listed as being at WASR, Duenna was ready and I would have been willing to take the next leg except I did not know the designated route thus did not know to which airport I would have flown.I am sure the team would not want me to really fly a leg since my skill level is not great. I was happy enough just the get the bird if straight and level flight, setup the GPS and figure out that the incessant beeping I kept hearing was the Meridian telling me I was overspeed.I had a couple of issues when trying to fly the YABM to WASR leg.1) There were trees in the runway2) The GPS in the piper meridian was way off and I few past the airport (flying over it yet thinking it was not the correct airport since GSP said I was still 5NM away.)3) I am just getting the hang of using the CH products rudder peddles. That being said where would I have gone next had I been a part of the race? Is the Meridian an adequate plane for the race (I think meets the requirements, but might not be fast enough)?Thanksted

>I connected to Bush Net using the muli-player FS option the>(first time I ever have used it) and my plane was listed as>being at WASR, Duenna was ready and I would have been willing>to take the next leg except I did not know the designated>route thus did not know to which airport I would have flown.>During practice, just fly where your heart leads you. At the moment we're heading for Japan and then Alaska to get in some bad weather practice up north.>I am sure the team would not want me to really fly a leg since>my skill level is not great. We all started somewhere. Just don't fly anything that you're not sure you can handle (night landing on a short unlit runway for example, don't try that in the race if you've never done it before).>I was happy enough just the get the bird if straight and level>flight, setup the GPS and figure out that the incessant>beeping I kept hearing was the Meridian telling me I was>overspeed.>Need to learn the aircraft better then, which is one reason we practice (another if to train our skills at likely airports we may encounter).During the race, fly something you're comfortable with (though there are exceptions, my first ever flight in the FSD Cheyenne was during the 2004 race and I've flown it ever since).>I had a couple of issues when trying to fly the YABM to WASR>leg.>1) There were trees in the runway>2) The GPS in the piper meridian was way off and I few past>the airport (flying over it yet thinking it was not the>correct airport since GSP said I was still 5NM away.)>3) I am just getting the hang of using the CH products rudder>peddles.> The GPS unit in the Meridian is based on information that's not consistent with the FS database, that's a major problem with all RXP units and especially troubling outside the US.Best use another unit (and maybe another aircraft).The trees are one reason we scout ahead. We've encountered some weird things over the years, trees on the runway being just a minor annoyance (just brake harder on landing :) ).>That being said where would I have gone next had I been a part>of the race? Is the Meridian an adequate plane for the race>(I think meets the requirements, but might not be fast>enough)?>I don't have the performance figures for it. Most of us fly aircraft that have a groundspeed of about 375-425 knots when cruising.The Meridian meets the other requirements for the race (single turboprop, more than 10 production units put into service).As we're currently aiming for Japan your destination would have been in that general direction, Philipines, Korea, etc.

Guest deleteriousone

Thank you for the reply and encouragement. While I would not want to be a burden to the team (and I would had if I try to take a leg of the race), I would like to participate in some fashion. Maybe even fly extra wing. Thanks againted

Hi Ted - and welcome aboard!As Jeroen said, you might want to look at some faster aircraft. while this is just fun, we like to win this fun :)The freeware P-38 to be found here at Avsim is an excellent choice. And then practice, practice, practice. Even if the P-38 is very forgiving, it won't do everything. Then fly some legs as 'unofficial' wing. We all do that from time to time. Then when you're ready, step it up a notch and fly wing. By that time you must be ready to actually fly the baton, because you might get it at any time. Evrn the best of us occasionally botches a landing...and a computer may chrash!Good luck and welcome again!BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest wt1l

Ted-Welcome aboard. I had the chat window closed last night and didn't see you come up on teamspeak. Was busy flying the leg. We practice on bushnet just about every night leading up to the race. Please join us again and we will be glad to show you the ropes. What callsign do you use in multiplayer? I will make sure to keep an eye out for you.Take care,Chris

Guest deleteriousone

Hey Chris,I will login again tonight after I put my children to bed. I use my forum ID deleterious1 (or deleteriousone).since I do not have the equipment I do not use teamspeak, but will have the chat window opented

Hi TedAh, yes - the good old chat window. Very useful, but also very dangerous, so be careful: I don't think there is anyone here who hasn't at one time started typing a message only to realize, that the chat window didn't have the focus... When that happens, your keystrokes goes to FS instead and the results of that can be really horrible. Last year, I must have typed in an E, chatting with Chris while waiting in the Concorde. As a result of that, I only had response from 1 throttle, when I wanted to move into position.As for Teamspeak, all you need is your soundcard and a mike and the TS software, which is free. But you do need the mike :)BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH