Sign in to follow this  
Guest byoung

Two Issues..

Guest byoung

(1) Is there any FPS hit on the Flight Sim computer? WideFS compatibility should be high priority.(2) There are replacement voices for the standard MS SAPI 5.x that are not as robotic as the MS voices. I am researching this right now. I am just wondering if you have to change VOX ATC to recognize the new voices.I'll report back my findings.Barry

1. Yes, VoxATC uses a bit of processor power, on my computer I have to turn off the AI traffic and this compensates very well. In fact I probably get better, smoother flying using VoxATC instead of the AI traffic. The ability to operate VoxATC on a second computer is something that being worked on.2. The replacement voices should work as long as Microsoft Mike is set as the default voice (there is a replacement Mike available). While this was looked in to for inclusion with the program the cost quoted to the developer made it impossible to do.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest havoc69

Anyone got links to the replacement voices?

Hi Eric,I had done an internet search for MS SAPI 5 voices quite a few weeks ago and found the naturalvoices being made by AT&T. I forwarded a link to the developer of VoxATC to see if he had heard about these and if they would work. That earlier link had a page where you could just purchase each individual voice for around $30 each. AT&T wanted quite a bit of money to include their voice packages in a commercial piece of software which would make the cost of VoxATC even more expensive so the decision was made to not purchase distribution for these voices. The original site I located is nowhere to be found and the only info I can find now takes you to more of a developer's site where you purchase a single computer developmental program for $250. As much as I like these voices I'm not about to spend that kind of money for them. With time and some competition we will hopefully see more voices released by enough companies that the price for an individual user might become reasonable.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I think this program is a great enhancement to the Flight Simulation experience. The voices do leave a lot to be desired however. As for a source for enhanced voices checkout http://www.nextup.com. Good luck and happy flying.:-)