Sign in to follow this  

#8 Avsim vs FlightSim RTW Race Thread #8

I'm happy to let you take this leg. I will stand in reserve until you take the baton, then I will go into standby for the leg to follow. RegardsJeff Williams (KDCA)

My word... this is weird... after lurking quite actively for years, I'm actually posting! Actually, it's not my first post, but it's definitely the first time in like 2 years...But, to quote The Naked Gun, that's not important right now....This whole race has kept me riveted to my seat for the past few days. I've been sitting at work hitting refresh every two minutes to keep track of what's going on. Been watching VATSIM today keeping an eye on the various flights (mainly TCA - you heroes!) who've been keeping the AVSIM baton flying. And now I'm finally back home, and, well, I figure it's my turn to contribute, if I can. I've got an ATR 42-500 (the EWPro/Commuter Airlines one, an absolutely cracking plane) with this race's name on it... I've done a few test flights, and although the default KingAir is (surprisingly?) pretty much up there, I reckon my the ATR just pips it to the post... so, I know Francisco's up for the next leg (and I also know there's no reservations!) but I'm quite keen on getting a flight in at some point this evening; hell, I'll stay up all night for the chance (I'm in London, so Zulu if anyone's wondering)!What's the current thinking itinerary-wise, so I can psyche myself up..?cheersRob

Greetings Rob,I too have been sneaking peeks all day long at the race status from work. It is exciting to watch the teams progress around the globe.I think Francisco would like to take the next leg. I was going to try for the one after that but would gladly defer to you. I've already flown one leg so even if I don't get another I will have done my bit. Jeff Williams (KDCA)

Guest dcc

Beginning descent into SBOI 370kts gsETE 15 min + landing (low ceiling, darkness and it's probably raining down there so this is going to be a bit tricky... !)- dcc

FLY FLY FLY! As a participant flying across from Alaska to Russia, all I can say is GO GO GO GO GO!!!!!GIT' MOVIN! Win this thing!!! It's the weekend! Stay up late! Warm those engines and win this race!

EDIT: ok, so I completely misjudged dcc's time aloft....Jeff, good job our employers don't know how we use their bandwidth...Tell you what, as far as I'm concerned (and again, with full acknowledgement to the fact that there is no reservation) go ahead and fly after Francisco. As far as I figure it, dcc is still about an hour out, Francisco looks likely to fly after that, and if you fly after him, that gives me a few hours' sleep... so I reckon I'll check in about 4 hours from now and see what's going on (and if I'm honest I'll probably be checking in between now&then to see how things are going...yes, I'm that sad:-)) I'd love to get flight in before KBOS though. In fact, I kinda wish this was two-times-around-the-globe race, although I'll bet the guys who've been keeping this going wouldn't necessarily agree!R

Well, I'm all prepped up at SBOI... Rob... i believe it's better for you to take the next one, because SBOI has a 4000 ft runway which i believe is too short for the ATR... I'll try to get to Georgetown and that is a good runway (8000ft) for your plane.Anyway, if you're all prepped up and would like to go on this one, you can go, as you haven't flown yet. :)RegardsFrancisco Leit

Help yourself Francisco! I ain't even vaguely ready, I thought dcc was miles out (see my other post)P.S. I managed while testing to get the ATR off the runway at SBOI with full fuel (and no-one on board)... only just!I'll hang on for a later leglike the man said, it's the weekend!

Georgetown is the next destination... pray for the good windsKing Air 350 is the plane (had a thing with the EMB)ETA to follow as soon as i'm on cruise :-coolYou can follow me on VATSIM CS-FNLEdit: This will be a bit shorter flight than normally (450NM aprox) but the next runway after Georgetown is about 200NM away and that would overshoot completely the 2 hour limit (besides, the King Air is not the same as the P-38 :) ). Even with a shorter flight it will be right on the two hour limit :-coolETA to SYCJ is 0400ZRegardsFrancisco Leit

Guest dcc

good flight, plane did well even though I pushed her real hard, even used used War Emergency Power during ascent. Held about 370 kts ground speed at 23k, I think I had a bit of a tail wind for part of the way. Pretty cloudy on descent, came down a little hot and high, so had to make a run-around before landing on the strip. gps http://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/misc/ggbrzlgps.gifflight analysishttp://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/misc/ggbrzlfa.gifin-flight photo (enhanced brightness so you can see something)http://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/misc/ggbrzl.gifThis has been a lot of fun! I'll be waiting at the finish line at KBOS!Go Team Avsim!- dcc

Guys, The winds have been allright and i'm ahead of schedule... Still no time to push a bit further due to the distance, so i'll revise ETA to around 0330Z.So lighten up and be readyCurrently 10 min away from TOD.RegardsFrancisco Leit

Going to standby status with Cheyenne.Jeff Williams (KDCA)

Going in for a Straight in ILS to Runway 06... This will save a bit of time more for the next leg...Passing 10000ft - 40NM out of the runway ETA 0335ZEDIT: ETA 0345Z (my calcs really suck... have to work on this) ;)Will you be on VATSIM ??RegardsFrancisco Leit

I'm not on VATSIM. I'm holding on the taxiway short of rwy 6 awaiting your touchdown post.Jeff Williams (KDCA)