Sign in to follow this  
Stefano

ETOPS tutorial?

Hi all,I've flown many times with fs2crew at this time and I'm really satisfied of this product. Congrats Bryan for the good work!I'm just asking if a second tutorial is planned which explains more in depth all the ETOPS involved in a transoceanic flight. I'm really missing this part, and it would be good to have a more detailed tutorial than the first one, maybe with a monitored approach ;) (even the ATR has 2 tutorials)ByeStefano

But to get you going try thishttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/767.htmland have a look at the 767-300 Special Operation manual by Maarten Van Kleinwee.Excellent publication that not only details Atlantic route procedures and processes but also covers African and Metric airspace as well.Highly recommended for all!Chris.P.S. the other manuals in there are also excellent, especially the calculating 757/767 V speed manual.Note this is not a plug, This is a HUGE plug.

Chris, thanks for the infos. These are very very interesting, I have to say.Anyway these infos are a bit too specific for someone like me that is first approaching ETOPS. An introductory tutorial that will help me understand the ETOPS and transoceanic-long haul basics while flying in fs2crew would be much appreciated. ;)Thanks againStefano

Ok Stefano,We have a bank holiday where I live on Thursday, so I will try to do a basic tutorial, with all required external documents whilst I am doing the ETOPS leg I am planning.However ETOPS legs or "puddle jumping" is a complex subject with some very difficult calculations such as Equal Time Points and verification of positions etc. But I'll give it a try.I will try to start from preflight through to the exit of MPNS airspace.But I will assume that you have a flightplan and understand the basics of MPNS airspace rules. Also I will assume that you will interact with ATC in MPNS airspace.Chris

Thanks Chris, really appreciated. :)I'm able to build a flight plan with a NAT track, don't worry. MPNS? Or MNPS (Minimum Navigation Performance Specification). Which is right?I've found an interesting document on the nat-pco.org website about MNPS Airspace.Talking about ATC interaction, I'm really really interested in learning the correct procedures, with pointed out distinctions between real world and online ATC. I've already read the pilot procedures on the Vatsim UK website, hope to see these 'in action' in the tutorial. ;)Thanks in advanceStefano