Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

VOR approach

Hi Bryan,In case I need to perform a VOR approach (or any other non precision approach), what approach should I select in the approach briefing? If I don't miss something, I see there is only ILS or visual selection possible, even if in the bottom I can select non-precision approach.Thank you,James

James Goggi

Hi James,You should be able to select a Non Precision approach for the approach type. It's definately an option.Don't forget you can use the right and left mouse button to cycle through the selections. Hope that helps,Bryan

Posted on behalf of Chris Willis:Hi James,Please remember that a VOR/DME app, RNAV app, or a NDB app, is a non-precision approach, where the Autopilot is decoupled to execute the app.Also the Runway Visual Range (distance viewable from the landing end of the runway) also refered to as RVR for a non-pres is much higher.Actually for a precision app it seems to be aircraft dependant, and for a non precision app, it is airfield dependant.For example on a BA767 RVR's for precision apps:CAT3B app (CAT3C no available in the UK) has an RVR of 200mCAT3A app RVR 200mCAT2 app RVR 400mCAT1 app RVR 550mSooooo. if a BA767 is approaching rw07L at FRA and the RVR is reported as less than 200m, the aircraft is not allowed to land, as even though the full CAT3 systems are available at the airport and they are certified down to 75m the aircraft is only certified to CAT3 with 200m RVR.However for a decoupled CAT1 app the RVR increases to airfield minimums.Examples are:VORDME at LCA RW04 is 2000M whereas the ILS for RW22 for a decoupled CAT1 is 1200M, but should the GS drop out then the RVR comes up to 2000M. Should both the LOC and GS be unavailable for the runway and the aircraft executes a full circle to land (visual app on the same airport the RVR is 4800M).For most airports this is available on the Runway app charts, however for the UK and Germany, these are not available on the charts I have.Chris

Thanks for your replies.What I meant in fact is the upper part of the approach menu, the "IAP" entry: there either I select a known approach (EGLL ILS 27R etc.) or "GEN ILS" or "GEN VIZ", but I don't have the choice concerning a non precision approach, such as a VOR approach.Regards,James

James Goggi