Sign in to follow this  
Guest DWillens

No ETOPS?

Guest DWillens

Bryan:Of course it goes without saying, excellent work once again!I was curious though, why no ETOPS stuff? I kinda liked doing that on the 767 on those long boring flights. Is it all automated on the 747 so you didn't bother to put it in? Just wondering.One other thing (and it's not your fault). Landing lights in all of these planes are hugely too bright and I don't usually use all of them at once. So I end up competing with the FO to turn lights on and off! Is there any way that perhaps in an update, you could just have the FO turn on one set of landing lights instead of both sets? Or maybe have that as an option somewhere?Damon

Hello Damon,I actually asked my 747 consultant the same question during the design process.At his airline they don't have a rigid set of pre-defined calls for oceanic stuff. For examle, when setting MAG to TRUE, there is no set call-out: who ever does it just does it.ETOPS is not really a factor for 747s (4 engines, not just two), so that may be a factor.However, note that in FS2Crew 747 the FO does call for SELCAL checks during his pre-flight setup.Note that the station the FO calls for the SELCAL check varies depending on your location.Landing Lights: So you want to control one half and the FO controls the other? I'll have to think about that one. Off hand I don't think it's possible because the toggle lights assigments controls all landing lights (you can't split them). I'd have to use mouse clicks to do what you want to do, and I prefer to keep using the mouse clicks to a minimum where possible.All the best,Bryan

And to state the obvious thing here, ETOPS stands for Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards -therefore no ETOPS required on a four-engine aircraft :-)

Guest Jeroen November

OK...Well how about some EFOPS then??? :)Greets,Jeroen

Guest DWillens

You know, I honestly CANNOT believe that I didn't think about this more carefully! You are absolutely right! Of course they don't worry about ETOPS! What I really MEANT was more along the lines of position checks, SELCAL etc(which as you rightly point out is checked by the FO during preflight). I just thought it might be sort of cool to enable position checks, transponder changes ETC for NATTRACKS only because it gives you something to do during those long boring stretches. As far as the lights, I guess I can see where it would be more difficult to control separate lights if they are all using the same key combination.Damon

Hi Damon,Standard procedure is for all landing lights to be on for departure except with reduced vis TO's where the glare may be a problem. The reason for the landing lights is of course an anti collision...see and be seen.... issue. That is whay they are on below 10,000ft.You can always turn whatever ones you want off but the FO will turn them back on at 10,000ft so you may have to turn them off again.I am not sure what was in the 767 FS crew but I imagine it would be difficult to make a specific procedure. Bryan would know more on this.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall