Sign in to follow this  
Guest ooprl

Still hesitate before buying

Hi everybody,I read this forum since a few days but still hesitate before buying what I'm sure is a great add-on to the PMDG 747.My main question is about the VC mode and the demo video from FS2Crew website :I read somewhere (but maybe I'm wrong) that the F/O has to open the overhead panel to activate some switches. OK but on the demo video it seems a "reduced size" overhead panel is open to perform some tasks and a few minutes later in the viedo, a "full size" overhead panel is open. How does it work really ?On the other hand, is it possible to run FS2Crew in VC mode... from a cold & dark cockpit to the final shutdown (using track IR IV) ?Is it possible to fly the PMDG 747 without activating FS2Crew (in case of problems) or is it possible to "deactivate" it during a flight.Many thanks in advance for your reply and... sorry for my poor english.Jos... in a real 737 EFIS simulator in a few weeks at the Sabena Flying Academy !

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Jos,Thank you for your interest.1. Yes you can run FS2Crew from the VC and use Track IR.2. Reduced size overhead: The only way the FS2Crew FO can flip switches on the overhead is by using simulated mouse clicks. When the mini-panel pops up, the FS2Crew FO uses that panel to make simulated mouse clicks.3. Big overhead panel: Due to the way the PMDG 747 was programmed and for reasons I won't get into, a few switches on the overhead panel "cannot" be loaded into the mini-panel without adversely affecting some of the 747's system's logic (you will actually see these switches blacked out in the mini panel... they don't get loaded).So to use the switches that cannot be loaded in the mini-panel (such as the APU switches), the original, main (big) overhead panel is used, and the FO will place his simulated mouse clicks on that panel to control those certain switches.4. With FS2Crew installed you have the option not to run FS2Crew. You can either simply not activate it from the Flight Planning Page, or you can open the Start Center and reset the panel.cfg back to the original non-FS2Crew PMDG 747 panel.cfg.All the best,Bryan

Jos I do about 75% of my prep, almost all of my taxi, take off, flying, cruising, descent, landing and taxing to the gate all from the VC. There is a couple of times this is a problem and that is when you want to press your "TOGA." That isn't FS2Crew's problem, it is the way they programmed the panel at PMDG. There is only one clickspot for the TOGA and you must access it via the 2d cockpit, so I taxi into position on the runway and switch to 2d and throttle up, stablize and then set my take off thrust - immediatly switching back. But, this has nothing to do with FS2Crew.Secondly, after starting the engines the FO will start the after start checklist where the the APU is shut down, and if your in the VC the big 2d overhead will pop up just for a second. But, it really doesn't obstruct your saftey as you haven't started taxing yet. Brian goes into the reason for this in his response, I just wanted to talk about it from a different angle. Also, on rwy entry the FO pulls the big 2d OH out just for a second to turn the lights on. And then he does this again to turn the lights off and get the APU running after landing and you have exited the rwy. Finally, at the gate, the Captain will put the p/brake on and will say "APU on the busses." He will pull that 2d large OH out one more time just for a second.I hope that makes some more sense.Let me encourage you a little bit more. After having FS2C for a couple of great months, I have no earthly idea how in the world a guy flys this PMDG 744 without FS2C. It fills a gap that I had been dealing with for so long. It is so hard to reach everything with two hands and still get lined up or off of the rwy when you need too. This software solves that problem.I hope you enjoy! But, remember practice makes perfect and it will take a little getting used to. Whithin a day or so you won't go back to save anybody's life! I used to fly the 744F almost exclusivly, but there is no FS2C for that and it just sits on my "tarmac."Wilson HinesMy Blog: http://www.wilsonhines.com --------------------------------------http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpghttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/837438/3074.png