Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

An Overview of SimConnect

>Also, it says HTML use enabled next to my reply box here, but>it doesn't seem that my bold tags are working.Hi Brian... use square brackets for bolding text... or italicizing text... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jgreth123

> Thanks, I figured it was like that, I just didn't see any > reference to it on the reply box.>> My newbie-ness is showing.Sure there is. ;)See the [a href=http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=faq]FAQ[/a] link above? :) Click it and scroll down to the User How-To FAQ and click on [a href=http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=faq&t_id=uh_faq&q_id=15]How do I use HTML tags in my messages?[/a]I'll save you the time of looking.Instead of angle brackets <> use square brackets [] in your message. The administrator has the option of disabling html tags for the board.BTW, just posting this just to poke fun. :) I made the same mistake on my first attempt at an HTML post. ;)On a more serious note, SimConnect is gonna be awesome to use. I can see some great things coming down the pipe. :) Thanks for the extensive post, Brian.

I took a look at Cepstral, they certainly have some good voices, but those licenses can be expensive. I'd probably have to start with one and then add updates over time.And, yes, eventually I will need beta testers, and you will be on the list. At the moment, I'm just happy that I can put planes in the sim and make them do what I want them to do (pretty much).The big part is all the logic that the controllers will take on. Yes, I plan on supporting SIDs/STARs. There's a lot more, but this isn't my own personal advertising space, so I'll just plug my development blog that I'm putting up tonight in my sig, and cover my whole evil plan there.The question is, though, since it relates to development:Why not prerecorded voices? Is it just the time requirement to produce them?

Hey, he who can't laugh at himself leaves the job to somebody else, right?Do you think there would be interest in a simple tutorial running down the creation of a basic SimConnect project?

>Do you think there would be interest in a simple tutorial>running down the creation of a basic SimConnect project?Yes please!! :-)

Guest archtx

Wow, pretty neat (Cepsral)! Could this be used to more easily record new voices for ATC?

Guest archtx

Ah, yes....I used Cepstral to record the first wav file for my first FSX mission. Sexy Stewardess: "Hello, Captain. You are SO sexy! Coffee, Tea or Me?"Soon after the plane crashes. I haven't been able to get it to record passenger screams yet.

>Wow, pretty neat (Cepsral)! Could this be used to more easily>record new voices for ATC? Well, they are all TTS files, so I don't know how well that would work for the default ATC. And they cost quite the pretty penny.

Guest MikePowell

Oh yes! The interest is there!Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comwww.mikesflightdeckbooks.com

Guest Joris

I don't understand why people want to use the .net framework for game development. Microsoft never intented .net to be used for high-efficiency code, but rather for easily managable code that offers value for money to companies who order custom software.As for the express editions of Visual Studio, yes they are very powerful (especially if you take the time to set up the Win32 api), but there is no resource editor...

>I don't understand why people want to use the .net framework>for game development. Microsoft never intented .net to be used>for high-efficiency code, but rather for easily managable code>that offers value for money to companies who order custom>software.>>As for the express editions of Visual Studio, yes they are>very powerful (especially if you take the time to set up the>Win32 api), but there is no resource editor...Actually, managed code, even if not intended for use in that way, happens to do it rather well. It's all about the garbage collection. But really, it's the ease of use when dealing with a framework. It's supposed to take some of the grunt work out to better get new game developers to a finished product faster, so that they will keep with it, be more willing to try new things, and just get their games out there. Then they can learn C++ and start chugging away on a six year product that's just like every other game on the market.

Guest ziporama

The one thing everyone can agree on I think is that the documentation and example set for the SDK in FS9 is not the most complete out there.I would be THRILLED to see sample code here.Also a question specific to gauges: Are we finally beyond the gauge C based gauge SDK?Cheers,E.M.

>The one thing everyone can agree on I think is that the>documentation and example set for the SDK in FS9 is not the>most complete out there.>>I would be THRILLED to see sample code here.>>Also a question specific to gauges: Are we finally beyond the>gauge C based gauge SDK?>>Cheers,>>E.M.>>I haven't looked at the gauges SDK yet. Missions and SimConnect has kept me pretty busy.What level of programming knowledge should I assume when writing tutorials?

I think you will find that many of the Games Studios are moving over to Managed DirectX (MDX) and the XNA framework (Microsofts new Game Design Framework) is designed to create games on both the PC and X Box Platforms is Managed and uses MDX.Here is a good portal http://www.thezbuffer.com/categories/news.aspx for information on managed games. I used C# and Net 2 and performance is not much different than using C++